Thread: Where should I go?

Question Where should I go?

Hi everyone,
    I was wanting to download something like a FreeBSD or linux but i wanted to know if FreeBSD would be too difficult for a newbie like me and i know that this probally has been posted but i didn't get any results so i was wondering if there was any perticular site that i could go to, to learn exatly what redhat and a FreeBSD and learn what they do and how difficult they are to use.

>Thanks.
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]

Re: Where should I go?

Originally posted here by kilerboots
    Hi everyone,
    I was wanting to download something like a FreeBSD or linux and saw that FreeBSD was better to use if you really want to do some stuff but i wanted to know if it would be too difficult for a newbie like me and i know that this probally has been posted but i didn't get any results so i was wondering if there was any perticular site that i could go to, to learn exatly what redhat and a FreeBSD and learn what they do and how difficult they are to use.

>Thanks.

This thread currently active on the main page may help you out - if nothing else, there are some good links already posted in that thread:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=242039

Hope it helps...

The Iceman Cometh
    Where did you find something which said that FreeBSD was better if you "wanted to do some stuff"? While BSD's are generally more secure than mainstream Linux distros, they require a great deal more configuration. Any distrobution can be secure if it's set up correctly, whether it's a BSD, Linux, or Windows. I suggest, since you are a self-proclaimed newbie, that you stick with either Mandrake or Red Hat Linux. Both are quite simple to install and use and it'll be a good introduction to the *nix environment. Once you are familiar with the command-line commands as well as the GUI, then you may want to consider moving to FreeBSD or OpenBSD, but I would hold off on that until you are confident enough and knowledgable enough to be able to troubleshoot the numerous problems you are almost guaranteed to experience.

Edit: By the way, search the archives... this has been covered quite a few times.

AJ