Thread: virus hoax

virus hoax

one of my user's sent me a forward about some wierd "virus" email he recieved. i'm sure most everyone knows this, but here's the info from M$

SUMMARY
    There is a virus hoax that advises customers to delete a valid Windows file that is named Jdbgmgr.exe. This file is the Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java. If you receive the e-mail message that is listed in the "More Information" section of this article, delete the e-mail message and do not forward it to others. Although this file may become infected with a virus, its presence is not an indication of a virus infection.

i had to look up jdbgmgr.exe (i never program in java)

hope this helps if someone else comes across a concerned user

btw, the URL, if anyone wants it, to M$'s page on it

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q322993
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

I've seen this sooo many times in the past 2 years.

It has been posted here several times.

The part I like is my lusers calling me saying...

"I had a virus that the detection thinggy didn't pick up... but don't worry. I took care of it... "
    ...and that is after I sent out several warning emails about this hoax...

LOL

I keep that file on the network all the time now, so I can just have them copy it back over.

Its hard to explain to friends not to delete it, they never listen. The amount of times ive gotten that email from seperate people never ceases to amaze me.

This article that kinda ties in with this thread, eitherway its very funny/true

http://www.cotse.com/20010925.html

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    I've seen this sooo many times in the past 2 years.
    Yep. We keep seeing this a couple of times a day.

"I had a virus that the detection thinggy didn't pick up... but don't worry. I took care of it... "
    ...and that is after I sent out several warning emails about this hoax...
    Our users never recieve emails like this (thanks to our email content scanner). Even if they did, they just cannot remove the file without admin privileges