Thread: Mounting my CD-ROM???

Mounting my CD-ROM???

I just got linux and so far I havent configured anything to my liking and I cant even mount my CD-ROM for some reason. I tried installing a couple of programs to do it but I cant seem to get it to work. Im sorry if this is a really newbie question but I really don't understand. If you guys could just lead me to the solution I would be greatful to any help. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Chris

Chris,

Try this site out:

http://jgo.local.net/LinuxGuide/linux-mount.html

See if it helps you out at all. If not, send me a PM and I'll try to supply you some alternative methods.
    http://members.cox.net/blankman71/BlankNUBanner.gif
    BlankCo INC., Supplying Nebraska With Office Linebackers Since January 2003
    \"That\'ll teach you to whistle on the Sabbath!\" - Homer Simpson

If you installed from CD-ROM, you should be able to do:

mount /mnt/cdrom

If you get an error that says the mount point does not exist, do:

mkdir /mnt/cdrom

If you did an install via NFS: You need to know what type of CD-ROM you have. The best way is to watch the boot messages as you reboot, or look at /var/adm/messages (more /var/adm/messages). You most likely have an IDE CD-ROM that will show up as /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd, or you have a Sound Blaster type that is /dev/sbpcd, or you have a SCSI that is /dev/scd0.

In any case, you can do the following:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/xxxx /mnt/cdrom

and substitute xxxx for YOUR device. You can then: cd /mnt/cdrom and then: ls and you will be looking at the contents of the CD-ROM.

From RH FAQ.

The Iceman Cometh
    Is it an external or internal CD-ROM? If it's an external, PM me and I can give you some good guides (since not all Linux distros natively support external CD-ROM drives). They're not that much work to set up, but they can be tricky. If it's internal, I would take Jehnny's suggestion.

AJ

Most of the CD-ROM can be detected by RedHat or any Linux systems. Try checking the datacable or the power cord may be not properly mounted. How came you installed other programs if your cd rom not mounted?

First, check the file /etc/fstab.
    It names your drives and the points where they are mounted.
    Mine has this line:

Code:
    /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0
    it says that the device /dev/cdrom mounts at the directory /mnt/cdrom. iso9660 describes
    a cd file system. noauto means it does not automatically mount. owner means it must be mounted by owner, and so forth.

Make sure the device /dev/cdrom exists as a special device file in the /dev directory.
    Usually it is a symlink to/dev/hdb or hdc or some drive name like that.
    Then make sure the directory you want to mount at exists.
    My Red Hat system automatically created /mnt/cdrom as a mount point,
    and also automatically made the appropriate entry into /etc/fstab

It should only be a matter of discovering where your installation created the mount point
    and how it named the drive, unless you did a custom installation where all these
    things must be done manually.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Thank you everyone... I was able to mount my CD-ROM. All your information really helped me understand.