Thread: What processes

What processes

Ok. I have looked around and couldn't really find anything on this. My question is, what processes are needed to run on my windows xp box? I dont know which ones i can turn off or keep on. At some points, i have around 70 or 80 processes running at once and my computer cant handle that smoothly. Thanks ahead of time.
    The only four things i need are food, water, a computer, and the internet.

Good question, they had a site on the Screensavers awhile back.....but I cant remember for the life of me...I'll get back to you!!! Sorry!!
    The End Justifies The Means...

Well to start off you need to kill all the non-necessary services. Some of these include, Messenger, who needs that, along with a lot of others. Killing the non-necessary services this should clear up some of the processes running, but you also have to remember for every application opened, task tray icon, you'll have a process(s). So be sure all the apps are shutdown, and be sure that you sys tray is clean, and not half way across your desktop....you wouldn't believe how much stuff some users have in their sys tray....
    If in doubt about a service look it up...more than likely you won't need it.....

not much but hope it gives you a place to start....

Two words... blackviper

ok... one word...

http://www.blackviper.com/ has a good list of win2k and XP services and what you need them for. Get your reading glasses out... you're gonna need em.

Here is another site that has a list of task list programs and whether or not they are necessary.

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm

ok, so say you find a process that doesnt need to be run. how do you stop it from running when windows starts?
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

ok, so say you find a process that doesnt need to be run. how do you stop it from running when windows starts?
    There are several different ways. Depending on which version you are using, you can use the msconfig utility from the start --> run prompt. 98, ME and XP have it. If you are running 2k, you can use the XP msconfig utility which is readily available online. You just have to search for it some.

There is a tab in the msconfig utility that says startup. You can choose what you want to setup. This is a little safer than messing in the registry.

Actually... I just found a good site that has them all... less typing for me.

http://www.lewismoten.com/Items/Docu...sp?ItemID=1153

Just be careful if you go messing in the registry. Make sure to export your registry to a safe location. And... normally, on c:\ isn't a safe location. It depends on what you are messing with.

Another way to find out which processes Windows needs and doesn't need is keep closing all of the processeso one by one until Windows Crashes. Then right that process down. LOL longa and hard way but it would probably work.

Also as far as stopping the processes from starting up go to start-->run-->type msconfig.
    From there you should see tabs like startup, win.ini, system.ini config.sys, autoexec.bat. From these tabs you can find the programs that you don't want to start up when windows starts. However, be careful when messing with the config.sys, win.ini, autexec.bat, and system.ini. As unchecking the wrong thing in there can cause your day to go to hell.
    =