Configure X Windows in Mandrake 9.1

Thread: Configure X Windows in Mandrake 9.1

Configure X Windows in Mandrake 9.1

I just went over to the local college and had Linux Mandrake 9.1 burned to disk for me, and installation went flawlessly except for one issue. When I got to the part where I had to configure Xwindows, it did not detect my video card properly, so I chose the proper video card driver for my system. But when I did a "Test" to see if it would recognize, it did not. So I tried every driver for my manufacturer (S3) but no driver is functional. I just gave up, and did not configure Xwindows. Everything else is configured properly, but Xwindows will not start.

When I issue the command "startx", Xwindows attempts to start, but all that displays is a black screen for about 15 seconds. After returning to the command prompt, I viewed the dump message, and I noticed the following error: "No Display Present". How do I resolve this issue? Is there a command to configure X windows from the command prompt? My video card is a S3 Trio 64 v2/DX.
    I am here and you are not. Now you are here and I am not. Please leave a message after the beep. <BEEP!>

" XFdrake "

from Starter Guide Mandrake Linux 9.0

Configuring X From the Console

If you have managed to break your X configuration somehow and cannot enter X anymore, you can use
    xfdrake from the console to re-configure X . Simply, use the su command to become root and type XFdrake.
    Using xfdrake is no different than from the graphical environment except that you might not have a mouse
    pointer and nice icons. To move down have to press on the right or down arrow keys on your keyboard; to
    move up you have to press on the left or up keys on your keyboard. You can also use the Tab key to move
    among the different options/buttons. The text on the currently selected button/option will be highlighted
    with a different color; press the Enter key to activate it.
    Please refer to Controlling the Graphical Configuration, page 84 for instructions on its usage.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Logged in as root and typed #xf86config (press enter and so on..) and then try to set up to your video card S3 Trio or try using S3 GENERIC, save it and reboot.
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

OK! When at console. You try use command "drakxconf"

root@localhost#: drakxconf

To config for your graphic card. Mandrake has support your graphic card: S3 Trio 64 v2/DX

Good Luck