cable modem setup
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cable modem setup

cable modem setup

I have extensively been useing google but all results are things I have already done.

This question has nothing to do with security but I was hopeing someone here could help me. A friend of mine just got cable internet, the same one I have. She previously was useing dialup and still has her dialup acount hooked up. She purchased a PCI ethernet card as the ISP nolonger provides the card. I checked the min requirements and she has everything needed. I installed the card and the corect drivers, then rebooted and verified the card is detected and working properly. I then entered all of the TCP/IP and Wins settings as provided. All settings have been entered corectly. She has Windows 98, same as I do. Useing internet explorer settings on the controll pannel I checked her proxy settings and lan settings. All are corect acording to the settings provided by the isp.

However, she still has her dialup set up and im unable to get it to work with the new cable modem. The power light on the modem indicates it is on, and all other lights are in their proper state. But I cannot go to any web site untill I log her into the dialup acount, which tells me that it is somehow still dependant on the dialup.

I am woundering if anyone can help me as to how I can get it to stop useing her dialup acount and start useing the lan modem.

I return to her place tonight to get it working for her.

Can anybody provide me some guidence

are you reciveing an IP address? run ipconfig and makesure...is the tcpip bound to the nic? and is it setup for dynamic?

useing winipcfg there is a ip address, initialy it shows the ppp settings, but chooseing the ethernet card is the same, they both have a ip address, and the ping returns an active conection

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    The IP for the NIC. Does it start with a 169 number? That's usually the "I can't find an IP so I'll put this one in" default for Windows 98/2000/etc. It sounds like to me that the browser and other "desktop" devices are still looking for the network connection to come from dialup rather than network. You might want to look at the Internet Options under IE to reset them (I'm in Linux so I honestly don't remember exactly where it is but it should be a tab called Connection).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Its been way too long sience I used 98 but... it sounds like you are ot getting the ip address correcly...try killing the ppp connection that may help...in winipcfg try releasing and renewing the ip address do they change? they shouldmost cable modems use dhpc

Mrs. Mittens is on the right track. One thing that you should also check is how your network card is setup. Most boadband services use dhcp for setup, you have to pay extra for a static ip if they will let you have it at all. What type of modem is it? brand name/model #?
    The modem more than likely is a modem/router, so your nic should be set for auto-obtain. If you set the ip yourself, it may not be using the same ip-setup that the modem/router is using. Cable has an active connection anytime its plugged up, unless you have the crazy one-way cable that we had around here for a while, so its always connected to the isp. I would almost bet that your nic needs auto-obtain selected.

Hope that helps.
    Later.
    The only limit a person has, is the limit they give themselves.
    Cogito ergo sum. - Descartes

Just a quick check list (going from experience with BT):
    Make sure that under the connection settings of IE it is set to never dial a connection.
    (if you are prompted to dial up each time this could be it)
    Go though the internet connection wizard and tell it to connect using LAN

If they have provided you with IP settings then, they most likely gave you a dns server IP?
    If so pinging this IP willl be a good test as it is the one IP you should know for sure without having to use DNS.

<EDIT>

never dial a connection is the setting checked, it does not ask for me to conect to the dialup acount since I set that. I did try useing the internet connection wizard to set up a LAN acount, I chose all the lan settings but still no web sites display untill i loggin to the dialup. A dns server ip was not provided as they now use dhcp to dynamicaly obtain the dns servers each conect. Form what i was told.

</EDIT>

Not sure how to kill the ppp conection unless you mean to disconect from the dialup acount. I have disconected and rebooted a few times, before conecting to the dialup i first try to go to a web page to see if the cable modem is working. I was thinking that i may have to uninstall her dialup modem and dialup settings but im afraid of doing that because she needs something to use in the mean time.

i cant remember the ip off hand but i beleave thats what it started with, the modem does use dhcp as indicated in the manual. I cant hoever find any setting in internet options that will let me reset the settings. In the connections tab there are a list of dialup acounts, then below is the lan settings button. I chose the option never dial any of these conections, as some of my google results sugested. inside lan settings i choose to use the automatic configuration script and auto detect proxy settings.

My thought was that same that windows is still useing the dialup settings, tonight i will look for anything to reset to default setting. I did however notice that inside winipcfg the subnet mask was 255.255.0.0 which looked out of place to me because mine is 255.255.255.0 and we have the same isp

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    If the IP is starting with 169 then it's quite likely that the NIC is NOT getting an IP and cannot find the network. One sure way to force it is to remove or disable the modem from network settings (if it's not going to be used again).

This is for chartermi but it might help. I'm looking for more.

http://support.chartermi.net/support...ontdialup.html

One last thought: if it's not getting an IP there is an issue there. winipcfg is the command you'd want and hit the "show more info" button. That should give you the full listing. You can do a "Release all" and "renew all" to see if it's trying for a new address. Check if the lights on the modem are flashing. Try a new cable if need be.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I'm sure you have already investigated this avenue, but have you tried having a technician check the line? I had this problem when upgrading from dialup to DSL. The previous person that lived in the house had DSL so I thought it would be easy to switch, but there was a problem on the line and a technician had to come out and splice the line again. I even called the ISP and had them test the line and they told me it was fine over the phone. It might save you hours of troubleshooting software if the problem is as simple as malfunctioning hardware.

Just a suggestion...I hope you find a solution!
    \"TechWriter\"

\"All dogs don\'t go to Heaven\" (Even if they only have 2 legs)