Thread: Strange problem

Strange problem

Hi all,

I am having trouble setting my computer up after putting it into a new box. it is a hardware problem, i think i broke something but dont know what. say i put hdd on ide1 as master and dvd as master and cdrw as slave on ide2, everything looks ok but windows cant use the dvd drive. linux could play music on it but not mount it with data. this is how my computer was set up originally so i thought it must be a windows problem. i re-installed windows using the dvd drive, it installed fine. but as soon as i went into windows, same problem, couldnt use the drive i just installed it with. after going nuts for a while i tried all different combos of setting it up. if i have hdd and cdrw on same ide then hdd wont boot, if i have dvd an cd on same then dvd wont work (in windows or linux but bios will load it and work) if i have hdd and dvd on same ide it will work but slow. if anyone could please shed some light on this, i have a feeling i might have slightly damaged the motherboard.

Regards,
    Chris

hii 2,
    Chris why you dont check the cable maybe there is something wrong ,sometimes it problem on the cable . When u tried on different combos and it doesnt work i think ur dvd drive n cd or hdd some of them are not compatible with windows and why dont you try with the different windows version .I hope thats will help you .

regards,
    Ferry

make sure your DMA settings are correct
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

maybe jumpers??

i agree the idea about the cable but if it works with linux it means the cable is OK, but you shoud try changig the HD and DVD`s jumpers to MASTER, SLAVE or CABLE SELECT(CS works as slave or master automatically) respectively

also try runnig the setup when u boot the PC, then in standar cmos settings change all to AUTOdetection mode
    cheers

if i have hdd and cdrw on same ide then hdd wont boot, if i have dvd an cd on same then dvd wont work
    So basically whatever is on the cable with the CD-RW doesn't work..... my guess would be an issue with your CD-RW. I'd say it's unlikely to be a problem with your motherboard if the problem goes away when you take the CD-RW off the controller. It's normal for IDE devices on the same controller to go slowly because they have to share the throughput of the channel.

Are you sure you have the CD-RW jumpered for slave properly and that the 2 master drives are attached to the end of the ribbon cable? It sounds suspiciously like both devices are trying to be master...... that would explain why your hard drive won't boot, because it must be the primary master to boot.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

hey blade1337 you cann't make tow masters on your PC,, so i think you have to make the dvd drive as slave.......................

I have to agree with problemchild's comments.. The issue you mention is very common..
    I have one other comment though.. I have had corrupt BIOS/Cmos, cause very funny problems with optical drives(ie cd and DVD).. you could try reseting your BIOS.. But it is most likley that the CD-RW is dodgey..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

If you installed from the DVD then every thing should be fine on the MB...If something was broken, r you had a master/slave issue or the cable was bad you wouldn’t have been able to install. I am assuming you have an ultra ata setup correct? my guess without looking at the machine is the windows driver is faulty for the ultra ata device. try dropping the cd-rw off or putting one on with the hard drive...if that works its a driver issue (windows is not understanding the drive chain) if you look in device manage i bet you see something with a ? or a ! next to it. If so get the new driver it will fix your problems.

Thanks for all the replys, it looks as tho there is a problem with my dvd-rom believe it or not. I took it out and everything runs fine. first i noticed that if i took dma off it would work, which explains why i could install windows with it as the bios would not do dma i would imagine and linux could use it cause i didnt have dma on. So i geuss i better get another one as its pretty much useless without dma.