Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant get out of linux command prompt

cant get out of linux command prompt

I have recently got linux if you didnt already know from all my other linux questions posts I've made. Every time I boot up and go to Linux it shows up with a black command prompt screen and I'm forced to sign on there. I want to know how I get back to my original GNOME boot up screen or how I can get to GNOME from this command prompt. Thank you everyone in advance.

Chris

This might sound a bit obvious but try the command 'startx' to start up Xwindows. And as far as setting it to boot up X automatically, you can usually find that option in your Control Center or what ever ur distro calls it. I think the option is also given to automatically start X on boot in the X configurator (xfree86config, SaX2, DrakConf) after setting up your display properties. Hope this helps.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

do what Syini666 said , if you see just your console , type 'ls' and then type 'startX' but you can choose how to boot your linux , start under X , or nonfb .... do what Syini666 said :>

If you want to use the graphical login screen, edit /etc/inittab and change the runlevel from 3 to 5. Find the line that says:

id:3:initdefault:

And change it to:

id:5:initdefault:

That should do it when you restart.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Thank you Syini666, Mizo, and problemchild. You have all helped me with my problem and also helped me understand what I did wrong. You guys are great.

Linux has a GUI ????????????

It all depends on the type of Linux that you have and the packages that you install on it but yes some types of linux can come with certian GUI's if you install the right packages and also you can download lots of GUI's for linux from some open source sites.

Just a side note here to anyone else reading this with the same problem - sometimes, it's not as easy as described. If your graphics card is improperly configured or not recognized at all, when you boot to your Linux OS you may indeed be faced with the command prompt only and when you try to run startx, you may receive error messages. If this is the case, then run setup from the command prompt and adjust your X configuration.
    - Maverick

Yes d0ppelg@nger, linux does have a gui, just as good, if not better than windows. Why don't you check out http://www.kde.org/screenshots/kde310shots.php for some fantastic gui screenshots. If your not using linux cause you're afraid of the command prompt, then now you see you have nothing to fear.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Maverick811 > i know that situation all to well. SuSE 8.1, Mandrake 9, and Redhat 8 all have problems detecting the monitor on my server, so i had to manually set it up without any directions or stats on the monitor. The problem was actually so bad that it didnt even return an error to me when I tried to run X, it just showed up a screen saying something along the lines of "Out of Sync Range." I'm definately glad to have that one behind me.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0