Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regestry question

Antionline Herpetologist
    Here's something I found on the net about changing the shell of Windows.

Press the CTRL key while you start the computer, and then select Command Prompt Only from the Windows Startup Menu.

At the command prompt, type edit c:\windows\system.ini , and then press the ENTER to open the System.ini file in MS-DOS Editor.

To navigate through MS-DOS Editor, use the arrow keys. Under the section labeled [Boot], change the following line

shell=Explorer.exe
    to:
    shell=Progman.exe
    Press ALT+F to scroll down to Exit, and then press ENTER. Select Yes to save the Windows\System.ini file, and to return to the command prompt.

Restart the computer. The operating system starts Program Manager.
    Source: http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/Ques...7a778c,00.html

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Yeah, you can also do that from Start, Run, sysedit. Other than that, same as above.

And as an added comment, Windows 3.1 wasn't really an operating system. It was just a shell over MS-DOS. But man, did I ever love DOS. Most stable operating system that ever came out of Microsoft, in my opinion.

Oh well, it could be worse. Just think if there was nothing in existence other than Windows ME. (Sorry if I just caused a nightmare for someone. Luckily, this isn't the case)

~Aracor

What I was asking about was answerd by jounry and cgkanchi I had thought it would be in the regestry but I just learned something new, thanx to everyone who helped.

Zelfaldor
    Life\'s a Dream, Wake Up!!!!!!!!!! -Zelfaldor

The network support in DOS was horrible. I remember having to go around and restart win3.1 systems all of the time because they would just fall off of the network and would not join back in unless the nic was restarted. Also, programs just blew up left and right with no real explanation of what was going on. Win2k is by far my pick in the realm of MS OS's. The memory management of DOS was pretty much non-existant. i used to have all the options for QEMM memorized.

And don't even get me started on MS mail...

I do agree that there are some things that are just so much easier to do in a text based environment. That is why I run a whole slew of tools on my 2k system so that I can do just about anything from the command prompt.

Originally posted here by Zelfaldor
    What I was asking about was answerd by jounry and cgkanchi I had thought it would be in the regestry but I just learned something new, thanx to everyone who helped.

Zelfaldor
    In Win 9x the shell was stored in the system.ini
    but in NT/2k/XP things changed and the shell setting has been relocated to your registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell

Maybe thats what he was refering to