Thread: Opinions on BeOS

Opinions on BeOS

besides the obvious lack of current support, what is everyone's opinion of BeOS, especially in reference to security?
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

i love it, im not sure about its security because iw as never online with it and havnt really read to far into it, i bought BeOS pro 5 and the BeOS Bible and its pretty cool i think.

Okay, I'm reviving an OLD thread, I know. :-P

I used BeOS HARDCORE since version 4.5, around 1999. BeOS 4.5 and 5 have faults in network security, but they are but hairline cracks as compared to Windows issues. There is a new network stack named BONE, or the BeOS Networking Environment, which is largely based on *BSD networking. I can't really tell you much about it security wise, since I have very little experience with it, but I am told it has similar issues as a *BSD box would. Unfortunately, BONE is not a public release (but can be found if you look long enough in BeShare, the file and chat program for BeOS users), so you will likely not run into it's problems. If you do get BONE, remember that you're running beta software, so YMMV.