Cygwin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cygwin

Cygwin

I am trying to learn Linux, and figure using Cygwin is the easiest way.
    The problem I am having is that I am not root in cygwin, and must use Login to become root.
    This may sound easy to most but the password I normally would use for root does not work, and I did not type any passwords in so I can not figure out what the root password is. Does anyone know a way to find out the password? Or I will probably get negged but does anyone know how to get the root password using some other method, eg cracking? Any help would be appreciated

are you using cygwin on linux or windows?
    I have just tried it in windows I have never set up a password for root and so I asume it is some kind of default.
    Try having a look at
    /usr/doc/Cygwin/login.README
    you can find this using windows explorer, the root dir / is the c:\cygwin dir or wherever you installed it.

There are methods of cracking a password file like this but if its a default it is realy not worth the time, as it is it could take forever and a day (google it if you want try looking for jack the ripper).

Waverebel

ps
    From the file mentioned above
    Under NT/2K/XP, login(1) is _not_ supposed to work on the command line
    to change user context! Though you're able to tweak user permissions
    to get login(1) working that way, that's NOT officially supported.
    pps
    Why do you need to become root?

the default root password for cygwin is null. cygwn is a bash shell it is not linux. if you really want to learn linux install it.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I run cygwin on win98 and never needed root.

Code:
    Welcome!
    rcgreen $su
    su: user root does not exist
    rcgreen $
    If you are running NT/2k/XP, and need more privileges, the issue is
    between you and your OS, not with cygwin.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

go to some where like downloa.com or google and do a searck for password recovery freeware applications there are loads of them about just have a llok it will certainly be worth it

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Re: Cygwin

Originally posted here by dap
    I am trying to learn Linux, and figure using Cygwin is the easiest way.
    Actually, dap, if I may suggest Knoppix might be a better way to learn Linux. It allows you to play with a Linux system without having to install it on your hard drive. Many of the students at my school who are first-timers to Linux are using it to get more comfortable with Linux at home.

This would be better than Cygwin, as Tebod1 pointed out that it's not really Linux but rather a bash shell emulation with the GNU c and c++ compilers in it, IIRC.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I was thinking about a Linux Distro that ran right off of the CD. But decided that I would learn on my laptop (p66 with no CD ROM) and therefore i need an installed version.

go to www.linuxiso.org. im pretty sure slackware has a floopy install still up for older computers (16 floopies or so i dont remember)
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

ZipSlack

If you are running a realy slow box.. and using windows with cygwin you must be the most patient man/woman in the world

I have never heard about a floppy version Tedob1, but I do know ZIPSLACK wich is just under 100MB..

www.slackware.com/zipslack/
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Oh. There are a few linux floppies. The one I'm most familar with -- mostly as a recovery tool -- is tomsrtbt (pronounced Tom's Root Boot). Whole linux on single floppy (tho' no tools).

dac0braman, is it possible to get an external CDrom Drive for the laptop?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage