Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regestry question

Question Regestry question

I have question, I'm running win 98 SE and a friend told me once that there was a way to make it look like it was running win 3.11 by changing something in the registry. I was wondering if anyone here might know of how to do it, also if this as been answered elsewhere I'm sorry I tried to look for it before posting but did not find it.

Zelfaldor

the only way (that i know of) to make windows look like win 3.1
    you can switch the filenames of taskman and explorer...
    so that the old-school taskmanager will run first and not explorer (with start button)
    (btw- i've only done this in win95), maybe there is a way to do this in the registry, but i'm not aware of it... sorry i couldn't help more
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

In the registry there is a line where it asks for the operating environment, listed is explorer but you can change it to taskman and it will look just like 3.x, instead of doing it in the registry this can also be done in an environment tool sysedit or sysmon or something like that, I haven’t worked in 98 in a long time so I don’t remember the name of it.

I have done that with Windows 2000 but I dont know if you can do it with 98.
    Unfortunatly I dont rememer how to do it. Dorry.

If you go into: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version, it should list all of the Build/OS/System information used to identify your box. Just modify the keys you need to for the OS, etc. I have no Idea how 3.1 is listed though...maybe just 3.1
    Good luck........
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Well I havent used windows 3.11 but a friend of mine had, what I did was I switched my shell from explorer to progman if I remember corectly. Progman can be found in your windows directory. To change your shell in Windows 9x useing sysedit from start run type in sysedit, click ok and a bunch of windows will open, find the system.ini and in there is an entery shell=explorer

Be sure to have a boot disk before hand because when windows is loading if it canot find the shell spesified in system.ini it will cry about reinstalling windows. If this happens all you need is your boot disk to get into a dos prompt, where you can type edit to bring up the inline editor, where you locate the system.ini inside the windows folder and edit it back to the default.

When I did this he said it kinda looked like win 3.11but I dont know because ive never seen 3.11

Ah, Windows 3.1 - probably the best OS that ever came from MS in my opinion - the good ole days...

I'm just wondering instead of editing the registry, couldn't you just try and find a Windows 3.1 theme for Win98?

EDIT: I just did a very quick search on Google, looks like my idea wasn't too good - I didn't seem to find anything...
    - Maverick

Whoops, I though you meant how to make the PC look like 3.1 "online" so to speak when a site tries to identify your system. So sorry, Progman....Yes.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Originally posted here by Wazz
    Whoops, I though you meant how to make the PC look like 3.1 "online" so to speak when a site tries to identify your system. So sorry, Progman....Yes.

Actually, I didn't even think of that - Zelfaldor, is that what you are talking about?

I just plugged in my old Windows computer and i am running win version 3.1 under there. I know this doesn't really have to do with anything but i dunno. I have never heard of anything like that. Ill do some research on it and get back to ya.
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]