Thread: Norton Ghost Problem

Norton Ghost Problem

Sup guys,

I just tried to clone a win2k workstation and everything went well, until that is i put the new harddrive in the workstation and powered it on. I got a "NTLDR missing" any idea how to fix that? I tried restoring it from my win2k cd but didn't work. Hope ya'll can help thankx.
    linuxcomando

NTLDR ...boot sequence

I recently built my first computer. I had the same problem starting it up when I installed Windows XP. All I had to do is go into BIOS setup and edit the boot sequence. Fixed the problem immediately.

On restart, after your computer does its POST checks, press and hold <delete> and it should take you into your systems BIOS. Go to your advanced BIOS features, and check the way your system is booting up its devices. I used boot from CDrom drive for first, then floppy for second, then harddrive....etc.

Before you edit these, just in case...write down the order they were in. You can always go back to change em back if it doesn't work. Make sure once you change your settings...that you save them before you exit the BIOS. That's all...it shoudl work.

Let me know if it does, and good luck.
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Not a ghost problem. the problem is with LT Loader

To correct the problem, the user must boot the computer with a Windows 95 or 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it. Then, at the "A:\>" prompt, type "sys c:" and press "enter." A "System Transferred" prompt should appear and then the user must reboot the computer without the diskette.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Thanks for the quick reponse, But as far as i know qwerty that will on work on 9x based systems and not win 2K, however im still go to try cuz i need to fix this today
    I toor\'d YOU!

OK, heres the deal, you need to put in your win2k disk, and boot into Repair mode (repair desktop) It will ask you for the previous installs admin password then drop you into a command prompt. You will need to edit the boot.ini file. It has been a while since I did it, but I believe that a few of the 0's were changed to 1's for some reason, causeing the drive to act as a slave. I hope this leads you in the right direction, after I did this, it booted fine.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

if you originally had 98 or 95 on your box, this is usually the problem. it could also be the new HD (INT-13 ext, 0C system-ID)

Try sys C:
    if it works, it'll be nice and easy.

here's another link: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm
    Cause:

1. Systems hard disk drive has FAT32 file system.
    2. Computer hard disk drive has INT-13 extensions with a system-ID type of 0C in the partition table
    3. The heads value in the FAT32 BIOS Pattern Block (BPB) is inaccurate.

Solutions:

To resolve the error message "NTLDR is Missing" follow the below steps:

1. Boot the computer with a Windows 95 or Windows 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it.
    2. At the A:\> prompt type:

sys c: <press enter>

3. After pressing enter you should receive the prompt "System Transferred". Once the file system has been transferred reboot the computer without the diskette and attempt to reproduce the error.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

This can be a common ghost problem as cross said.

Originally posted here by cross
    OK, heres the deal, you need to put in your win2k disk, and boot into Repair mode (repair desktop) It will ask you for the previous installs admin password then drop you into a command prompt. You will need to edit the boot.ini file. It has been a while since I did it, but I believe that a few of the 0's were changed to 1's for some reason, causeing the drive to act as a slave. I hope this leads you in the right direction, after I did this, it booted fine.
    This can happen and mostly cause the cloon is of the secondary partition (or another partition or disk, "partition to image") and then written to disk (image to disk). Or if the cloon is of the secondary partition (or another partition or disk, partition to image) and then written to the first partition (image to partition).

This is easy helped with editing of the boot.ini file to match the start/system partition you now have. It may also be worth trying to run ghostwalk since it corrects some system files (even if you dont want to change the computer name).

Try to edit the boot.ini as cross said and see if that helps.

~micael