Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RedHat 9 and Nessus 2.03 -BLAMMO!!

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

RedHat 9 and Nessus 2.03 -BLAMMO!!

If anyone gets their hands on RedHat 9 and then tries to compile Nessus 2.0.3, it wil fail. After panning through the output, I saw that OpenSSL had thrown a fit. I submitted an e-mail to the nessus mailing list and Renaud told me that indeed the distro of openssl from RH is busted up.

I found a fix for this problem.

To solve this issue:
    ===========================

Download openssl-0.9.7a from ftp.openssl.org
    Untar and copy the contents from: /openssl-0.9.7a/include/openssl To /usr/include/openssl
    Compile nessus and all is well.

Hope this helps out!
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Ewwwww... Yet another reason not to "upgrade". How "GUI/Windows" feeling is 9?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I've only poked around for a very short time in KDE, but right off the bat it has a very cartoon-like feel. They give some "helper" icons that launch a windows-like explorer window that is suuposed to give you a look at the hard drive contents. It's very close to the feel of windows explorer except for the noted goofy cartoon graphics.

They have *many* GUI config utilities but I haven't had time to play with them yet. Historically, the GUI config utils have been nothing short of garbage. For this reason, I prefer editing the conf files at the command line.

In a lot of ways, RH seems to be aligning the feel of their GUI interface with that of MAC OS-X and WinXP. Be afraid...be VERY afraid....LOL.

Anyway, as I play with all the features, I will note anything of value such as the OpenSSL problem that I immediately ran into.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Way to go thehorse13! I saw that on the list today or yesterday, I forget. I think I will have to download it and play with it soon. Umm...wasn't RH 8 released like 6 months ago? Is this a sign?

Regards.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

I'm hoping that Red Hat makes a finer product than version 8. I've been using 8 since it's release date and I'm getting the feeling like something is missing. Hmmm, probably more stability. From what I read on red hat's site and another 3rd parth site, there are lots of improvements, more tools, apache and php changes to name a few.
    Does anyone know where to download an ISO besides Red Hat Network?

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

I am not sure where instability with RH 8 came from, I have had nothing but good experiences with RH 8. Of course I keep all the current updates installed, but it has performed well both as a server (web, email, dns) and as a workstation (all 5 of my computers).

RH9 however appears to be a bit slower or requires more resources. I only installed it on two of my workstations both are 500mhz with 64 and 128 mb RAM and I can definitely see a difference in performance. It does have a few nonsense things like all the help and so forth, but after disabling this, changing the theme of choice and installing icons, I have what I had in 8.

After using it for about 3 days so far, I haven't noticed much that has changed visually. The programs are newer versions, kde is 3.1 (i don't use gnome), openoffice is a newer version and the menu's are layed out differently. But all in all, 7.3 -> 8.0 was a bigger leap than 8.0 -> 9.0

Just thought I would offer my opinions and experiences. Have fun with the penguin!
    dAggressor

It\'s a long life, until you die

I think Redhat is really focusing on the GUI side of things with RH9 possibly at the expense of performance. But it doesn't stop you from installing a basic install and then adding X and Ice yourself which will cruise along nicely. It doesn't bother me too much if the GUI bugs take a while to sort out because I know that Linux is built on a pretty firm foundation. Hey, you don't even have to use a GUI if you don't want to ie. server boxes. Windows still has too many underlying problems to compete with Linux in terms of reliability and security but it's getting better.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Thanks for that info dAggressor, I'm burning the ISO's right now. I'll let you know how this all works out. What I was saying about instability and RH8 was that when I have the machine running real cpu intensive work (ripping dvd's) the machine would lockup or the x-server would get killed. I'm hoping these problems are fixed with RH9. I've got my fingers crossed.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

does the RHSA-2003:101-15 - Security Advisory and update concerning Updated OpenSSL packages repair this issue as well??
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Hey horse, mind giving us some screen shots of RH 9? I've seen a few, but they're always sanitary boring screen shots. Show us a real user's screen shots.