Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Answered Questions?

Answered Questions?

What would you guys think of asking people to add "[Resolved]" to the subject line of their first post in a thread if they get the answer they need? I think that that would save other people the trouble of opening those resolved threads (unless they wanted to, of course).
    - Runner -

Yea or just have them say thanks i got the problem fixed or something. But sometimes i look at threads like that and when they get their problem resolved and they say it people still post there to help.
    But yea i think thats a good idea
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]

You'll never get people to do it. Hell, we can't even get them to stop posting Linux modem questions in "AntiOnline: How Do I? or What Is?"

Other than that, it's a fine idea, but the last time I tried to edit a post subject I couldn't......

[edit] One idea I have proposed in the past that went over like a lead balloon was to have auto-closing threads if there is no activity in the thread for a period of weeks. At the time I proposed it, people were getting negged for posts that were a year old or more, and one of our resident troublemakers was dredging up dozens of old threads to the front page. I thought that might take care of both problems.....

Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Streetrunner,

I think it's a nice idea but lots of posts are just discussions or postings of valuable links, bools ....
    If you want this one to work, I would suggest to let a member decide whether it's a problemsolving question.
    You could throw in a checkbox in the 'New thread' window just like there is for posting a poll.

This way people won't be confused and just check it if it's a real question that needs to be solved

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Banned
    I like the idea, but someone should take off the edit-limit then:
    There's a 24-hour limit on editing posts, meaning that after 24 hours people wouldn't be able to add [resolved] anymore...

i'm all for adding a section that answers the most common questions before anyone has a chance to ask them again. "what distro should i use?" "what programming language should i learn?"

i don't like the [resolved] idea b/c with computers there's always more than one way to fix a problem, and just b/c someone offered one suggestion doesn't mean someone else won't come up with a better means a half hour later.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

I had forgotten that one of the hacks added to the code that supports this site is the 24hr limit. I'm going to see if something can be done about that.
    - Runner -

While I think it is a good idea... I also think its a bad idea. (oxymoron or maybe I'm the moron?)

There is normally not just one solution to a problem.

Ok, yes. Maybe the original thread started fixed his/her problem. That doesn't mean that someone else down the road is going to have a similar problem and the solution for the first person will work for the rest.

If someone has some more input into the subject... y not let them post?

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    While I think it is a good idea... I also think its a bad idea. (oxymoron or maybe I'm the moron?)

There is normally not just one solution to a problem.

Ok, yes. Maybe the original thread started fixed his/her problem. That doesn't mean that someone else down the road is going to have a similar problem and the solution for the first person will work for the rest.

If someone has some more input into the subject... y not let them post?
    Putting [Resolved] in the title is certainly not meant to stop someone from adding to the thread, it's just meant to save people some time if they don't want to open a thread where the user has the answer they want.
    - Runner -

Putting [Resolved] in the title is certainly not meant to stop someone from adding to the thread, it's just meant to save people some time if they don't want to open a thread where the user has the answer they want.
    Ah, I misunderstood. I guess I am the moron?

It was only Sunday... and already a long week...

Thanks for clarifying.