Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Configuring my internet on linux

Configuring my internet on linux

Hi everyone, I just got linux and I cant seem to get my internet working on my linux. I have mandrake 9 and I wanted to know what exactly do I have to do or find to configure my internet so that I can use it. I am using AOL if this has anything to do with it. Thanks to everyone in advance for helping me.

Whats the exact problem with your internet? Can you dial in and it doesnt work? Can you connect to AOL?

You may have a winmodem, which is basically a modem that only works with the windows platform. You might have to get a new modem to accomodate for you new found linux ways.

Oh and welcome to linux. Mandrakes a good place to start, especially to get to know the file system. Try and use the command line as much as possible, so if you ever experiement with different distro's you can get around if they are just with bash.

I cant dial in, and I cant get on AOL. I don't have anything configured and it wont let me run setup.exe when I put in the AOL disc. Is there a manual way to configure the internet onto my computer?

As far as I know, AOL doesn't support linux, this may have changed. But there are other programs you can find that will emulate the aol connection progress. This is just a quick site that I found, hope it helps.

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAOL.html

Good Luck.
    The only limit a person has, is the limit they give themselves.
    Cogito ergo sum. - Descartes

hi there,
    As far as i can make out from what u have said, u might be using a winmodem as mupp3t has predicted. winmodems has a real bad relations with linux. they are real pain in the neck to make them work with linux. Even though i don't use Mandrake (i use RedHat though) the results are same. And as far as Setup.exe is concerned it won't run because linux file system does not recognise exe's ! That CD is to meant to be run on windows.

Nice post Shadowmeld, I didn't know you could use AOL on linux, now I know, but I still don't see why anyone would want to use AOL, lol. Hey schoolsucks779, let me know how that works out for you.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

My first thought is that your modem is not installed correctly, or not recognized at all. Winmodems were mentioned several times, and I'm just wondering if indeed this might be the modem that you have on your PC. Can you find exactly who the manufacturer of the modem is? I'd say that's the best place to start - first ensure that your modem is working correctly (without AOL), then look into ways that you can get AOL to run with Linux. Shadowmeld has provided what appears to be a pretty good link for AOL/Linux use, so you may be in luck there. But your first issue is to make sure that the modem is installed and properly configured.
    - Maverick

How did you intall Mandrake, if you installed it on a windows setup you wipped out the winmodem, and you will need a modem either internal or external. External is favored, while costing more than internal, you will be able to shift it to other machines in the future. And as others have posted you will not be able to run Mandrake thru a winmodem, if in fact you still have one. I am running Mandrake on an hp machine and had the same problem, after a lot of trys, just put a esternal modem on and had good results. I am running win 98 and xp on other hp machines and they have winmodems. Keep working on it Mandrake is worth it.

I am not too sure but i would reccomend trying netscape navigator i prefer it and you might

Ok, I went with Shadowmeld's idea to go to http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAOL.html and I tried to install PengAol. Now I have another problem when I tried to install this program. The problem is that once I install this software I recompiled it. When I recompiled it what happens is it tries to make a new directory in '/usr/sbin/' But for some reason when it tries to do this it says 'Permission Denied'. I am logged into the admin when this happens... why isnt it letting me make a directory in /usr/sbin/??? What do I have to do to get permission to make a directory in /usr/sbin/? Thank you to everyone in advance.

Chris