Linux Router Project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Router Project

Linux Router Project

Has anyone heard of the Linux Router Project in case you haven't it is a project that has been launched and the main objective is to create a linux OS that is big enough to fit on a single 1.44Mb floppy disk, a very interesting thing I was just suspicious on if anyone knew if the project had been completed and if so where I can download it, thanks for your time

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    No project is ever complete but check out here: http://www.linuxrouter.org/

Look under downloads. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for there.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanks alot but I couldn't find much there but i did find a load of other things so i have given you some anti-online points

I'm not looking for antipoints but rather looking to help. Is not what you are looking for here ftp://ftp.linuxrouter.org/linux-router/dists/current ?

Perhaps I misunderstood your question. I thought you wanted to know where you could download it? From the looks of it they have either "completed" the project or stopped devel on it. Take a look at their mailing archives.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

I found this ftp://ftp.linuxrouter.org/linux-router/ but i don't understand what to do do i have to download each file individually or something if you could help in any way i would highly appreciate it

thanks sooo much for your help i think i have got it sussed now

Thumbs up

If you're intersted in a linux router check out this alternative. It has firewall and CD booting capabilities.

http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/

Hey MsMittens,
    Do you know a bit more about LRP?
    They say it fits a floppy!
    Including the Kernel???
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Originally posted here by Networker
    Hey MsMittens,
    Do you know a bit more about LRP?
    They say it fits a floppy!
    Including the Kernel???
    A linux kernel is actually quite small (less than a meg if compiled correctly). If need be it can be expanded in RAM and any tools needed are also relatively small. e.g.

ifconfig - 65K
    route - 50k

So putting a router on a floppy shouldn't be that hard. In fact, one could add iptables which takes a mere 68K of space and make the router a little more secure. Size has always been one of the biggest advantages of the *nix environment.

You'd don't usually see it when you install from distro because they tend to add every bell and whistle they think is necessary. When I installed FreeBSD with just the tools I wanted and no GUI the whole thing took a total of 300MB. And the only reason it took that much is because I asked for all the devel tools.

I hope that clarifies.