Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux Router Project

Senior since the 3 dot era
    If you are looking for a 'right from the net easy to install and run' firewall solution perhaps 'programs' like FreeSCO, BBIagent or FloppyFW are something for you.
    FreeSCO is very good, but has some problems with ADSL lines (although it works it needs a fix on every win box due to some wrong(?) protocol interpretation by M$ stuff.)
    FreeSCO is one of those programs that convince users how good Unix/linux solutions could be. This little thing runs on a 80486 with as little as 12MB of ram with ease. I installed a FreeSCO 80486 DX with 12MB ram and ISA nic's on a cable connection and it gets 4Mbit speeds and many many concurrent connections without a prob. Has since the install never been turned off. (Uptime more then 6 months, and only this cause the box isn't longer installed yet. <- try to beat this with a win based proxy/gateway/firewall solution)
    You can get it from here www.freesco.org

More easy and ready to rock on ADSL, Cable, Modem, DHCP, ... is BBIagent. It's less hardware resource friendly than FreeSCO but a basic Pentium 133 with 32MB ram is enough to run it from. It accepts all major NIC's. (the same goes for FreeSCO) www.bbiagent.com

Originally posted here by dac0braman
    I found this ftp://ftp.linuxrouter.org/linux-router/ but i don't understand what to do do i have to download each file individually or something if you could help in any way i would highly appreciate it
    Once you've downloaded the files, if your in a windows environment, you can use rawwrite to put the image files on the floppy. The floppy will then be bootable and ready for configuring. The other files are for loading differnt nic drivers and such. Hope that gives you some direction.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Checkout freesco.org also, I just set up a decent little home net using ipmasq and firewalling capabilities, all from a floppy. It also has a telnet, web, smpt server, and a neat little web administration tool.