Shaping ftp connections with TC: Help me. Im almost there!

Thread: Shaping ftp connections with TC: Help me. Im almost there!

Question Shaping ftp connections with TC: Help me. Im almost there!

Hello folks!

I have recently installed RedHat 8.0 and am using it as a gateway.
    I use Iptables for firewalling and ip masquerading, now this works as its supposed to.
    It even works very good!

Im portforwarding port 80, 21 & 20 to an internal machine and this works fine to.

Now to my problem #1.
    Im using TC with cbq for shaping and this almost works as it is supposed to.... I have put a test uplink bandwidth at 480Kbits/s (~60 kbytes/s) and well It limits the connection to 60 with one or two bursts here and there... But its very uneven, it seeems to be struggeling alot and stalling a hell of a lot, the connection is going on a rollercoaster from 33 kbytes/s - 70 kbyts/s. It works but it looks ugly

Problem # 2.
    Now this is the REAL problem. I use Stochastic Fairness so that one tcp-flow does not drain another... now this seems to work in the manner that a ftp-flow doesn't drain a http-flow and the other way around, BUT...
    If I have one user on my ftp and the shaping limit (rate with cbq) set at say 60 kbyts/s it looks ok, the rate has a good effect, but if another user login on the ftp-server he only gets like 10 - 0 kbytes/s, in other words, he gets drained by the first user, now this was unexpected to me, I thought they would level out to something like 30/30 kb/s but they dont...

I've read about using HTB instead of CBQ but it seems my kernel-configuration doesnt fully support it and I dont know *nix that well... installed redhat 8 a week ago and before that I havent touched a linux box in three years... (but I remebered if you do an ls -a in /bin you really should pipe it through less/more <--- my current knowledge of *nix is hereby explained)

What I want to accomplish is to make CBQ work with multiple ftp-users and have a stable shaped uplink connection... I have followed the guides and ripped most of the scripts from the exellent howto at http://lartc.org, and now Im soooo close! Help me!

The script Im using for the shaping is located here: http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookboo...c.html#AEN2183 I hardly changed anything in the script so, thats pretty much what Im using.
    .sig - There never was a .sig?
    I own a Schneider EuroPC with MS-Dos 3.3 and it works.

Vigge,
    What do you want to do:
    - Traffic shapping I suppose

CBQ stands for Classe Based Queing, the queing policy is function of the IP TOS. You intend to handle Quality of Service in your system?

From my poor experience the difficulty is to determine exactly the type of shapping you want:
    average, peak, ...

Good luck!
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

If I have one user on my ftp and the shaping limit (rate with cbq) set at say 60 kbyts/s it looks ok, the rate has a good effect, but if another user login on the ftp-server he only gets like 10 - 0 kbytes/s, in other words, he gets drained by the first user, now this was unexpected to me, I thought they would level out to something like 30/30 kb/s but they dont...
    Thats about it, if I have 2 users on my ftp I want both to have an even flow of data, ie 50% each of the available bandwidth, which they dont get now. To see the script Im using check my previous post.
    Thanx
    .sig - There never was a .sig?
    I own a Schneider EuroPC with MS-Dos 3.3 and it works.