Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What OS should we use?

Yes windows is easier to use but it’s the ease of use that hides how things really work. For those who want to know how things work linux gets down to basics. You have the opportunity to do it manually. you see how and why it happens and get to take control of it.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

all i cansay is: linux is my playground, windows is my workplace(ok slackspace but whatever)
    what is love but contempt for hate?

i think in the profesionnal industry, a lot of companies are using mac OS.
    it's more stabile i think.
    _digitalbath.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Originally posted here by mypojam
    i think in the profesionnal industry, a lot of companies are using mac OS.
    it's more stabile i think.
    I had to chuckle at this. Only in the graphics/desktop publishing industry is Mac supreme. I think Windows still remains as the main desktop with a large portion of the server market with *nix a large portion of the Internet Server market.

The question was, however, for security which OS should we use. And I still say it gets back to what one is most comfortable with.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

It all depends...

If you are a gamer, there are a lot of new games coming out for linux, and old ones being ported... alot of new graphics cards being supported.. many changes.. but.. there is still a lot more support for windows than linux in that area.

It is definetly true that you should use what you are more comfortable in.. but if something pushing you to try linux... then you got all the drive you need to start learning. The Linux/Windows who's better thing is... has been around for a while.. who says you have to make a choice? You can dual boot.. or install linux on an older piece of hardware to start out with.. your windows machine will make an excellent 'reference book' as much (most) of the documentation you need is on the internet concerning learning about GNU/linux, or *BSD flavours.

So no one's making you choose.. you have the choice. Linux has it's perks, and it's really, really interesting to see how your OS works, to be able to play inside of it... and it does everything windows does... even drive your tv card, hehe... Everything short of run some of the latest games out of the box the way windoze does.

Take what everyone has said here, and an afternoon with a spare junker computer preferably, or a try a dual boot after you've done some reading on the install process, and try and get mandrake up and running... then decide if you want to 'get into' linux flavours a bit more!

Ryan

i agree with everyone here .. find out how it works on your OS is important, Windows is easier and i used it for long time.
    no OS could works perfectly , human made it and human not perfect. Now it depends on you which one you wanna run on your computer. Take the advantage of OS will u run and find the troble shoot for make u learn how to build your own security .
    I try to change my OS few days ago and failed, becoz i didnt know much how to use it, so the most important is find out what will u use, and how to understand it well.
    When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=389

I think those who really want a stable,secure operating system should use linux. If you want to play games there really is no other choice than windows. I've been using linux for around 6 months and it is really not that hard once you read your manual.
    Now get off your bum and download it! www.linuxISO.com

Please let me throw one additional observation/recommendation into the mix here:

It helps to be familiar with several different platforms if you plan to work in a consulting capacity and/or move around from job to job. I'm not saying that you need to be an expert in Microsoft, *NIX, Mac, AS400, NetWare, VMS, etc. But I am suggesting that if you have the opportunity to get familiar with several different platforms, it will probably benefit you in the long run.

From a security perspective it helps to at least understand the architecture and environment enough to be able to understand what some of the vulnerabilities might be. Also to be able to confirm a configuration or software revision-level.

Since Linux and BSD are open-source and don't necessarily need a super high-power PC to run on, it might not be a bad idea to grab one of them and get them installed and working on a beater-system so you can learn a bit. One additional recommendation might be to avoid all the handy little GUI applications and applets that are available for doing system configuration. While these are increasingly stable and prevalent in Linux implementations, I have rarely run across them on a corporate Solaris or HP-UX system. (In other words learn how to configure your network settings, start/stop services, navigate the file system, etc. from the command line)

I find it helps to have a specific task in mind when trying to learn. Some things you might set out to try with a Linux or BSD box would include: install Apache and deploy a test website, install nMap or Nessus and get familiar with them, configure the system as a firewall. These are all cool little projects and by the time you're done you'll know more than you did when you started.

I think I need more information from you before I can honestly answer the OS question. What type of kit do you have? If its an older system windows probably isn't the answer, If its a lot of proprietary stuff (on board every thing, win modems and what not) *nix is the answer.

What do you want to do with the system, is it for games and word processing, are you paranoid about security (in which case I would recommend OS/2 Warp...sure there isn't a lot of software support, but no one knows how to hack it ), ECT.

When you have figured out what you want from the system, and what the system specs will be, I can suggest operating systems that will fill those needs.

Be wary of taking advice from system evangelists, every OS has its strengths and flaws, and ignoring them will only set you up to be unhappy with your computer.

Lightbulb

You should use whatever suits your needs!

If you are a gamer I recomend that you hold on to Windows, but if you are a developer type you should use *nix because it's much more stable and reliable.

I personally use Windows ME and Linux. That's because I sometimes want to play games and my Linux doesn't support my modem(it's not Linux, I have a shitty modem) and Linux is where I play with development and programming.

That is my recomendation.
    We are the makers of our own destiny!