Thread: IP Address

IP Address

I was just wondering, what are common ways that hackers use to find out my IP and what can I do to mask it from them?

First thing, read AO's FAQ before posting, because your answer would be found there.

Anwayz. If you talk to them with some sort of messenger, they could run a "netstat -na" to find your IP. Otherwise they would have to port scan and find your particular computer. Which not too many hackers do. (They usually scan for exploits). And to mask it, download a firewall, like Zonealarm.

its probably worth noting that a ``hacker'' probably wouldn't want your ip address.

but your ip address could be obtained by making a connection to your computer with instant messaging software, *****peer or most file sharing software, making you click on a link to a server that is under their control or even breaking into servers that you visit, sifting through logs and blindly trying "lucky" looking ip's (perhaps they know what network you are on). why would anyone be bothered to do this? simply, they would not be. the biggest "threat" to a computer user, is a computer user! another computer user that is, one who wants access to the others files, password etcetera. for this type of user to accomplish such technologically astounding feats they require nothing less than a point of contact, like an email address - as they need to ``install'' a program.

so to avoid all evils on the internet, use protection in the form of a proxy server as a "go between" and don't email persons whom aren't trustworthy, because your ip could be retrieved from the email too.

of course there are precautions to be taken when using a proxy server also. to make sure that it isn't being run by the people that want your ip address.

do a search of the forums for more infoo. or google.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

"your ip could be retrieved from the email too." - (V)/\><

Correct...and to clarify, this is the X-Originating-IP that appears in the e-mail headers.

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor