Thread: nbtstat

nbtstat

how do I enable the "nbtstat" command in Win ME? I keep getting error messages..

What error messages are you getting? Perhaps someone ran poledit and has limited the abilities of the machine. Could really be any number of things. Have you tried checking google, or even better still Google Groups. Unfortunately you have not provided enough information about this for an honest and effective answer.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Well, it says... "failed to access Net BT driver--Net BT may not be loaded.. I get that only after I type ...-a, or -n, or any commands really. "nbtstat" only brings up the index of commands. Anything else doesn't work..

it looks like u dont have NetBIOS installed

I am agree with groby may be you dont have netBIOS installed, you might have to make some changes on your system in order to use these commands.
    Control Panel -> Network Connections
    There are two types of network connections that may appear here: "Dial-up" and "LAN or High-Speed Internet".
    You need to have both TCP/IP and NWLink NetBIOS showing. If NWLink NetBIOS is missing, here's how to add it. Click Install -> Protocol -> Add NWlink/IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol.

This should be helpful for you

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by \/IP3R
    I am agree with groby may be you dont have netBIOS installed, you might have to make some changes on your system in order to use these commands.
    Control Panel -> Network Connections
    There are two types of network connections that may appear here: "Dial-up" and "LAN or High-Speed Internet".
    You need to have both TCP/IP and NWLink NetBIOS showing. If NWLink NetBIOS is missing, here's how to add it. Click Install -> Protocol -> Add NWlink/IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol.

This should be helpful for you
    Why would you want to add ipx/spx when there is no need for it?

Firstly it looks as if NetStat is not installed or has been corrupted, secondly windows ME is a crap OS full of glitches and i recommend you downgrade to Winr to a somewhat ???? Windows XP Home.

NOTE: personally i have never found anyone that uses nbtstat anymore and unless u can get physical access to a computer an enable it on another comp then its pretty much pointless
    The God of the Drow

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by Lloth Sedai
    NOTE: personally i have never found anyone that uses nbtstat anymore and unless u can get physical access to a computer an enable it on another comp then its pretty much pointless
    I use nbtstat almost on a daily basis. I use it mainly to find out the username of the person using a workstation on our network.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Cantdoright,

If your computer is not connected to a network that is using the IPX/SPX protocol than you have no need to enable it. Why do you want to enable it is the question?

Now concerning WinME, I have worked with the OS several times and I absolutley hate it! Everyone I know that has had it in the personal computer has gone to either Win2K or XP due to compatibility issues and the amount of crashes that they had to put up with.

ccKid