Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shell Server Testers wanted

Shell Server Testers wanted

Dear All,

I have created a shell server which is in a fairly secure environment, I'm inviting you to test it (if you like), to do stuff and see if it seems reasonably secure and functional.

The idea is that people can't easily break out into other networks, but that they can still compile things etc.

Comments appreciated.

The server will be up, starting now, for a few hours (or even longer maybe), you can register an account and do most things as long as you don't take the piss.

Thanks very much.

To connect, ssh to

81.103.195.240, port 9022

Login as newuser, password newuser, and follow the instructions.

It's not a challenge, you aren't supposed to try and get root, but if you do, please don't break it for other people who are experimenting.

Login?

Hello Slarty,
    I was wondering me being new and all, how i would go about logging into your shell server.
    Im very very new as you can guess by my lack of knowledge, but i want to learn. So i wanted to know how to login using ssh and how i would execute commands. If there is a good tut you can point me too i would be most grateful.

Thank you. Dirty_Sanchez

Sanchez,

There are plenty of tutorials on unix commands knocking around, you may even find some on AO

To connect to my server you will need a ssh client. If you're using Windows, you probably won't have one. SSH is not the same as telnet, it is more secure.

A good ssh client you can download for free is putty which you can get here

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Then you need to enter the IP address and port number as above, ensure that you have selected "ssh" not telnet and connect.

Put in "newuser" for the username and password (without the quotes of course), and you should get a program asking you for some details to create an account. (Unless you are an AOL user of course, in which case you won't because I've banned them. PM me if you are)

You'll then need to repeat the process with your new username and password you have chosen. You should then get into a shell prompt.

Have fun.

Slarty

D'oh! Looks like I missed the test window.

What the hell, I'll give you my opinion anyway: "With your SSH daemon down, and no other ports available on your system, I would have to say that you're pretty darn secure. Then again, I don't really know what you will be doing with that large paperweight at the end of your network connection."

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Should still be open and working. I have installed another new kernel, more secure and doesn't leak memory like a sieve any more (like the 2.5 one I tested did)

This is still open to testing, please come on in for the time being.

There are still many potential difficulties with security of this box - not least being protection against DoS by local users, which I am still working on.

Hopefully in the end I will be able to post a tutorial: How to set up a really secure shell box for guest access

But not yet

Slarty

Hey slarty. I was not able to connect to port 9022 either. I found that the host is up and responding, but the port doesn't seem to be responding to connection attempts.

[EDIT]I am checking to make sure it's not on my end as we speak.[/EDIT]

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

It's not a challenge, you aren't supposed to try and get root, but if you do, please don't break it for other people who are experimenting.
    A few questions about this:

1) If you don't want people to verify the security of the system, what do you want them to test?
    2) Do you have permission from the provider to do this?

I had a few more questions in mind, but they were more related to security of the system, etc.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

1) If you don't want people to verify the security of the system, what do you want them to test?
    I want them to check that everything works as expected.

Seriously, as I say, you don't have to try and break root, but if you do, be kind

2) Do you have permission from the provider to do this?
    This is not entirely clear. I can't see anything specifically prohibiting it, and I'm using my own kit and not reselling any of their services.

It may be that I technically don't. Anyway it's only temporary. People run much worse things on their bb connections (think warez ftp sites, p2p for warez). This uses very little of anyone's resources.

Slarty

Okay, it was getting dropped at my firewall (forgot that you have it open on 9022 and not the ssh port 22) so I will have to test it later. Afterwards, I will give you any feedback I have.

Regards,

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Ok, I can test to see whether things work correctly or not, that is easy enough. As far as testing security though, I would personally want very clear guidelines of what you do or do not want done and clear permission to do so (seen some rather nasty legal things happen when this wasn't provided).

As far as your provider is concerned, I am not concerned in the least with their resources, a single shell account shouldn't draw that much attention. I am more concerned with what they would think if say they saw a portmap come in or something else, would like to know bases are covered legally.

Thanks,

nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)