Fixed Ip addresses

Thread: Fixed Ip addresses

Question Fixed Ip addresses

I have just switched my network onto fixed ip addresses through the router after serious issues regarding the dynamic ip. Do you think I should be worried at all about security issues?
    Gen. A

do you mean static public or private IP addresses?
    i will shoot you so hard.

They are private I believe
    Gen. A

Old Fart
    Making the assumption that you are referring to the IP addys of the machines on your network you should be ok. If your firewall is properly configured at the router then that *should* be all that most people can see (if they can even see that). Just remember that this IS the internet we are talking about....to some, nothing is sacred and nothing is secure.

If you are feeling particularly paranoid, put a software firewall on each of your machines....you can never be TOO careful.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

if they're private, it really doesn't make much of a difference whether you have static or dynamic addresses. for a small network, i'd go static, just because there's only that few computers, and if there's a problem with one IP address, it's a lot easier to find which it is. so no, no real security holes are opened by having static private addresses, unless your router doesn't have a good firewall in it.
    i will shoot you so hard.

If the machine you want to protect are servers the IP won't change anything because it will be reachable thanx to DNS.

If thy are clients then it is wise to have dynamic IP@ allocation to protect clients from kids. But this dynamic allocation can be done at the public interface thanks to NAT.
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]