Thread: I can't make a directory in /usr/sbin/

I can't make a directory in /usr/sbin/

Ok, I asked a question in a previous post about how to get Aol to work on linux. Shadowmeld replied to my question by telling me to download PengAol. I went with Shadowmeld's idea to go to http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAOL.html and I tried to install PengAol. Now I have another problem when I tried to install this program. The problem is that once I install this software I have to recompile it. When I recompile it what happens is it tries to make a new directory in '/usr/sbin/' But for some reason when it tries to do this it says 'Permission Denied'. I am logged into the admin when this happens... why isnt it letting me make a directory in /usr/sbin/??? What do I have to do to get permission to make a directory in /usr/sbin/? Thank you to everyone in advance.

Chris

Hmmm....sorry its not working so far, but are you following it exactly as the tutorial says? You have to set some of the scripts to run as root, chmod +s "filename" that could be a possiblity if your going through the console. If you are working through the console, are you sure your logged in as root?
    su -
    passwd

I wish I could help more than this, just a couple of things for you to check though. If you can't get it to work like this, google is the best place to look for other options.
    The only limit a person has, is the limit they give themselves.
    Cogito ergo sum. - Descartes

Yeah...make sure you're logged in as root. Root is the only account that has the ability to write anywhere regardless of the file permissions.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Sorry if this sounds really stupid, but can you tell me exactly how to sign on root? I think I know how to do it but I'm not really positive that I am really logging on as root or not. Thanks

If your logging in with a userid of root, you are then root. If your logging in with any other userid, then your not root, it just that simple.

Cheers:
    DjM

Simply open a terminal and type "su" + enter and then it will ask you for the password,
    type youre root password, and press enter.

now if you have the right root password, the prompt shuld look like this "root@localhost", then you are able to run youre script. If the prompt doesn't change to "root@anything" then you dont have the rigth root passwood

xDrack.

in adition to my last post, if you are root, then you can create directories or other type of files in the directory that you wanth because you are the "super user" and no one but you rules the machine.

xDrack

xDrack, Thank you soo much man. You told me exactly what I needed to know and now I can install the thing that I wanted to. My problem is solved!!!

what about login as root and try with 'mc'( midnight commander) enjoy!

Try this if U ever want to know what is UR uid

Code:
    whoami|getline
    prints the expr - user ttyc1 Jul 18 13:37
    this seems to help me.
    hopes this helps.