Thread: Connection errors

Connection errors

Sorry if this isn't posted in the correct forum. I'm not sure it's a 'security' issue, but I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition. Yesterday I went through and cleaned out unnecesary programs and files. I didn't delete anything from any hidden folders.
    I use Nortons System Works 2002 and ran windoctor and diskdoctor to fix any possible problems, then did a defrag on my hard drive.
    After all that was finished I encountered my current problems.

There is a copy of the recycle bin that I cannot delete. All it's contents are the same as the original, anything I delet appears in both of them but each must be emptied seperately. I cannot rename it or remove it.

I can connect to the internet and browse with IE, but any secondary programs are having problems.
    -Neither MSN nor Trillian will allow me to connect.
    -Trying to Download with GetRight says: Error connecting to: Socket Error: Connection refused.
    -Windows Media player's media guide will only show as 'The page cannot be displayed'
    -mIRC = 'Unable to connect to IRC server'

I've tried doing a system restore and it won't let me restore.
    I've searched the Norton Protected Recycle bin (both of them) for any important files I may have inadvertantly deleted and neither I nor windoctor found any.
    I've checked my Internet connection settings to make sure everything is as it should be
    I've even tried doing a recovery install of XP.

I'm out of ideas. Help?

Oops...couple issues I forgot to mention.
    I had a program I was trying called Virus MD, it was supposed to be a virewall/virus alert program. I didn't like it and uninstalled it after about two days.
    After uninstalling I started receiving warnings in my application event viewer:
    "The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( True Vector Engine ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer."

I've also had trouble connecting to this site, with an error that says:
    Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111) in /data/httpd1/htdocs/admin/db_mysql.php on line 42

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111) in /data/httpd1/htdocs/admin/db_mysql.php on line 42
    (I'm unsure as to if this is my problem, or a database problem for the site)

Thanks again.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

I've had some similar problems myself, and although this is far-fetched, try to disable/enable QoS on your internet-connection, it seems this little MS-bastard is causing a lot of problems on some systems (including mine).
    Just a thought, let me know if it works

I had a program I was trying called Virus MD, it was supposed to be a virewall/virus alert program. I didn't like it and uninstalled it after about two days.
    After uninstalling I started receiving warnings in my application event viewer:
    "The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( True Vector Engine ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer."
    The True Vector Engine is a part of the ZoneAlarm software firewall, I googled for it and found this post at the zonelabs forum, maybe it could be helpful for you.
    http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...message.id=158

I've also had trouble connecting to this site, with an error that says:
    Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111) in /data/httpd1/htdocs/admin/db_mysql.php on line 42

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111) in /data/httpd1/htdocs/admin/db_mysql.php on line 42
    (I'm unsure as to if this is my problem, or a database problem for the site)
    I have these too, I think we all have.
    .sig - There never was a .sig?
    I own a Schneider EuroPC with MS-Dos 3.3 and it works.

nope...that doesn't seem to have made a bit of difference.
    I went into dial-up properties and uninstalled the Qos option on the Networking tab....uh, it completly disapeared, how do I get it back? (do I need to?)
    Thanks
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

No you dont need it, but even though you uninstalled it, its still there in the background, but what I have to do everytime I reboot, is to enable/disable QoS to even get the connection working, check my previous thread about this here: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=241575
    Finally, I tried to disable QoS, nothing... I enabled it again, nothing, I pulled my hair for a while, nothing... then I disabled QoS again, viola, I was online.

Now, my problem is, I have to enable/disable QoS in winXP everytime I reboot since then (*nix users, dont laugh). I've spent days searching for anything like this in MSDN, and nothing, seems like this has only happened to me, ever.
    Now I don't have a clue if this could somehow relate to the problems you are haveing, but I thought it was worth a shot
    You can get it back by installing it again in the properties for your dialup connection
    .sig - There never was a .sig?
    I own a Schneider EuroPC with MS-Dos 3.3 and it works.