I have one phobia in this cyber world we live in and thatís NIC cards! I donít know what it is but I donít like them and they donít like me. If they even think Iím gonna try and install them they spontaneously break or injure me. My phobia comes from an incident that happened whilst installing a small office network about 6 years ago, to cut a long story short I asked someone to Ďthrowí me a Network Card. A hospital visit and Six stitches later my fear was born.
Anyway look itís like this. At home I have Blueyonder as my ISP (600k). I have one machine successfully connected to the internet already:
Win98 > NetScreen Firewall > Webstar Cable Modem > Internet.
I want to connect another machine:
Win98 > 4 Port Hub > NetScreen Firewall > Webstar Cable Modem > Internet.
But for some reason it just will not connect Iíve tested the new 4 port hub and thereís nothing wrong with it. Iíve tested the NIC and that works fine too.
What I have tried so far:
- Registering the new NICís Mac address with Blueyonder
- Manually and automatically assigning IPís
- Totally formatting the machine and re-installing Win98
- Put the NetScreen Firewall into transparent mode (incase there where any Mac addressing conflicts)
- Permit ANY inbound and outbound traffic to the Firewall
- Swapped all the cables over and trying different variations of cross over and patch cables.
The damn thing still wont connect. It gets as far as ĎDetecting Proxyí and then ĎThis page cannot be foundí.
What am I doing wrong? Why do NICs hate me? Whoís stolen my baby sledge hammer?