Thread: Remote Controll

Question Remote Controll

My ISP uses NAT'd ip's meaning I cannot connect to it (using PCA, VNC etc) while I'm at work, unless I leave it connected to my works VPN (which I don't want to do)

Does anyone know of any way that I can make my home pc connect to the vpn when I tell it to (for example with an email or instant message) so I can connect to it, or some other software that will make my pc initiate the connection, and then allow me to controll it remotely?

or any other ways around the NAT?

Cheers for any help

I know some people have had luck using a dynamic dns application.
    This depends on how your ISP has implemented NAT.

What that does is...

You run a client dynamic DNS program on your PC. It will update the IP of your PC on the dynamic DNS providers server at specified intervals. There are clients for both m$ and *nix.

so... you pick a name like: mycomputer.dyndns.org

It will have IP that your ISP has for you.

Check out www.dynu.com and www.dyndns.org and give em a whirl. They are free for the basic service. There are also other services out there. Just do a search of dynamic DNS providers.

sorry, didn't really make myself clear.

The IP I get assigned is from a private range (10.x.x.x). They then use a hide NAT for me to access the internet. so outgoing connections are fine, but incoming are a big no no

Cheers

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Stoo:

You can do it with a rule in Outlook 2000 or better. I have the VpN set up to autoconnect without the request for a password etc. I have the rule functioning I just don't have time to work out how to call the VPN connection directly from the outlook rule. It doesn't like the shortcuts I created but if you can find a way to call it directly then you should be in business.

let me know how to call it directly if you work it out.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

You can do it with PC-Anywhere if you can get your ISP to give you a static tcp and UDP port allocation. I did this for a customer whose ISP was very obliging we had a very similar issue as you and the recommend this solution.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

hey, thats a good idea about the IM/Email thing...
    you could easily re-write an email client to do some simple
    tasks, file handling/FTP Server, etc...

depending on what you want the client to do, it shouldn't be too hard of a project...
    i've written a few remote applications that use AIM as the medium...
    When you connect to your ISP, you are potentially opening your computer to the world. There are \'naughty people\' out there who enjoy breaking into other people\'s computers. Give some thought to the security of your computer...
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=360