Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2003 Server

Windows 2003 Server

Summary

The Windows 2003 Server is the successor to Windows 2000 Server. For a considerable time, this was also referred to as the .net server, but that name has now been dropped. Improvements include improved manageability, supports newest features of Exchange 2003 and Office 2003, and improved performance. Default installation is secure by disabling the IIS Web Server, which was enabled during installation in prior server releases.
    News 23-Mar-2003 Windows 2003 has been released to production and will be officially released April 24,2003.

Requirements

Product Windows 2003 Server, Standard Edition
    Processor Pentium 133Mhz, 550+ MHz recommended, up to 4 CPUs
    RAM 128 MB, 256 MB recommended
    Drive space 1.5 GB
    Drives Runs from hard disk
    Video VGA or better
    File systems FAT, FAT32, NTFS

Compatibility

Windows 16-bit programs (Windows 3.x type programs)
    Windows 32-bit programs
    DOS programs in a "DOS box" while Windows is running (not all programs run)
    Interface Windows 2003 server provides a GUI interface. It does supports a text-based DOS window while Windows is running.

Installation

Can be installed in its own primary partition on the first drive. When installing to any other partition( (logical or primary) on any drive, a small portion must be installed in a bootable FAT or FAT32 primary partition on the first drive.
    Varients Standard Edition
    Enterprise Edition
    Datacenter Edition
    Web Edition

Versions

2-Dec-2002 RC2

Pricing

Windows 2003 Server, Enterprise Edition (with 25 client licenses), $3,999
    Windows 2003 Server, Standard Edition (with 10 client licenses), $1199
    Windows 2003 Server, Web-server-only Edition, $397

Alternatives

Windows 2000 Server, FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris
    http://www.theosfiles.com/os_windows...3s.htm#Secrets
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows.netserver/default.mspx
    When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=389

I hate to say it but so what...you have posted a MS info splash on there new system, how dose this inform me of what they don't tell me. How dose the OS run, dose it deliver on very thing press releases like this promised? Is worth looking at/upgrading to when there will be another server out in 2005? Next time don’t do a cut and paste job from another page that did a cut and past job on a MS press release.

Sorry to say that SO WHAT. W3K - i assume that in few month, MS will tell everyone to update their patch or update service pack #. I dont care about that one. I rather wait for 6 months or an year. I will see how it runs?
    Prana0777

M$ is offering free (i think) seminars for win2k3. i haven't personally used it, but from waht i understand, it should be a decent os
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

i think it sounds kinda cool, that ability to run older programs while the new Windows is still running sounds nice, and as usual its a whore with RAM, but that does sound nice....no way im going to buy it though, i have no use for it, i dont work around any servers unless i make one.

I`ve been doing some testing on Windows 2003, out of the box it looks to be the most secure version of Windows yet, of course by December there will hundreds of exploits, but anyway....
    And also I guess you could argue that being the most secure version of Windows really isn`t that difficult given what its up against.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

And also I guess you could argue that being the most secure version of Windows really isn`t that difficult given what its up against.
    That's kind of like being valedictorian of summer school.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Originally posted here by sickyourIT
    M$ is offering free (i think) seminars for win2k3. i haven't personally used it, but from waht i understand, it should be a decent os
    As usual M$ retoric they will be short seminars focused on one of two areas. IT people to get them to buy into the server to get Exec to spend the money. And Execs to get them to buy into the server so they will buy the product that their IT folks have already bougth into.

It's Marketing ALL Marketing
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer

I have read several articles concerning Win2003 and they are all saying it is the most secure of the M$ OS's, like that's surprising, LOL. M$ has configured the OS with minimal services enabled to hopefully avoid most of the common Windoze exploits. What some are recommending though is to wait until the first Service Pack comes out and then look into it further.

ccKid

What's all the beef with the M$ service packs. I love service packs..... A new M$ service to me is....... Job Security
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer