Thread: NT winchat?

NT winchat?

The Windows 0S's come with either winchat or winpopup right? yes? no? ummmm....does winNT come with one of those too or something else? And chattting over a network is all you can use these for right? Sorry it's not really security.

Cool

All Windows Have a chat program desighned for network. you could use Netsend for quick messages or use NetMeeting for something nicer.
    FeN-i-X - We all have to start someware and we all start at the bottom...

Careful, he he, I did a netsend as root at work once and it went to every box at multiple company locations....DOH!
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

"winchat" is a legacy 16-bit app from Windows 3.11 - it works on Windows 95 but not NT or 2000. It was only really there in the first place by MS to demonstrate the use of its network APIs.

"winpopup" was a program used on Windows 3.11 and Windows 95 to receive "Windows popup messages" - which are something completely different. On NT4 & 2000, the "Messenger" service does the same thing. Go and read some of the 100s of other posts on here about it. "net send" is the NT command to send such messages. They can also be sent with "winpopup", and other SMB implementations like Samba and Dave also include some functionality to send / recieve them.

I don't think they ship anything like "winchat", but there is heaps of other stuff that does the same function, AIM / ICQ / MSN messenger springs to mind, but there are probably LAN-only products which talk to each other on the network without internet access too.

Look into Jabber its a client server based chat system compatible with AIM and MSN...but you get to run the server and set the user info. We run it at my office as a secure messaging system, unlike AIM or MSN the messages never leave our LAN.

I use Trillian for instant messaging, but I dont think I'll be able to get it to work across my LAN. What would be *Nice* would be to get the Net Send command to work through a dialup connection, skipping Messenger, AIM, etc. Unfortunatly, the Net View command, which is more or less required to verify the availability of another remote workstation, only works with a LAN. Grrr! By the way, what happened to the IRC channel?
    Don\'t argue with a tech support technician with keyboard imprints in his forehead.

winchat is windows utility, you can use it to send instant messages to another station at your LAN.
    c:\windows\system32\winchat
    this is the direcvtory to the program that allows you to message.
    its not secure
    any one can send alerting message if he knows your PC name(no#)
    its quite good to use inside organizations

Cool, thx alot. I can't use alot of those instant messengers because it's on a school network. DL's are not just frowned upon but you get suspended or expelled just for DLing things. I am looking for a network chat program that comes with windows NT. THX I'll try netsend.

OH AND, does anybody know if there is a built in chat program for Mac OSX?