10 52.63%
  • Don\'t Like It

2 10.53%
  • Mixed or indifferent feeling

7 36.84%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cp/m

CP/M

i wasnt to sure where to put this exactly, i was almost thinking tutorials but i didnt write any of it so i decided not to, anyway, alot of you prolly know what CP/M is, its the OS that DOS is based on, well alot of you may have never used it either. i found this site doing my usual "find a new OS to play with" searches, and its kinda cool so go check this out.

If youv never used DOS or CP/M read this:

http://www.sysun.com/museum/cpm/index.html

now, what in the hell are you going to do with these skills you say? well i also put the effort in and found a way for you to play in a CP/M machine, telnet or whatever you use to connect works usually fine, go to this site:

http://www.sysun.com/museum/cpmconn.html

and scroll down, youll see a small icon of an A:> prompt, click on that and telnet or whatever you have pops up and lets your PC connect to and log into a CP/M computer, everything is protected so you cant screw it up, basically that means to me its ok for your oldschool hacker ethics to take over you as you explore without worrying about screwin it up or getting in trouble. this is kinda cool i thought, everyone can find a *NIX box to log into and use but not every day do you see a CP/M box that you can play on, enjoy.

oh mate,

that takes me back to my High school days..

this has prompted me to get a couple of Z80 based machines running again just for the exercise.. hmm may just net work them into the rest of the home network... (gee whiz 2.5Mhz cpu.. hmm they may die of fright if they meet the 2.5Ghz toy at this end of the network)..

Thanks and Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I was reading a book called accidental empires ...

In this book I've known CP/M and Gary Kildall ...

i would really recomend this book for anyone who wants to know how it all started ... although the auther might be biased (I'm not saying he is) ... it still was an interisting book to read ...

I wish I was there at the days of CP/M and dos ...

Thanks for the link

Wow din’s think I would see anything about CP/M anywhere. Hey dose any one know where I can get a CP/M disk I have an *OLD* laptop its an Osborne 1...I believe the first model of laptop ever produced, but a few years back my copy of CP/M finally carped out on me so now its just a neat paper weight. Dose any one know where I can get a copy on 5 1/4" disk?

I recently gave myself a refresher course in DOS. I found an old Pac64 network sniffer unit here at work. They were going to throw it away since it is obsolete and no longer boots up. Times can get boring here, so I took it to my work bench and ripped it apart. I managed to fix it and get it to post. I then threw in a new hard drive and configured two different partitions: DOS on the C: and Win98 on D:

It was fun and brought back memories. Felt like I got back in touch with my r00ts =)

bballad :
    if you do a search on the net you'll find it ... i remember once i found a link that had CP/M for download (something about obselete os)
    funny thing is that when i was at that site i asked myself "what the hell is CP/M?"

Originally posted here by code1101
    bballad :
    if you do a search on the net you'll find it ... i remember once i found a link that had CP/M for download (something about obselete os)
    funny thing is that when i was at that site i asked myself "what the hell is CP/M?"
    Unfortunately I need to buy/get it mailed to me...only my CP/M machine has a working 5 1/4" floppy everything else is 3.5...and the Osborn doesn’t use what we would call a standard floppy architecture so I can't figure out a way to jeryrig a spare 3.5 onto it...any one with ideas on pulling that off I would love toy here about it.

You might be interested to know that the command line commands in CP/M were very similar to those used for the PDP 9/15 DOS in the late '60s. I doubt that the code was copied since the DEC machine was a lot stronger than 8080's and Z80s. By the way, I still have an Atari 800 in running order. All this was a lot more fun then, but probably not as productive.

i was saying it was what MS - DOS and PC - DOS were made from

This is getting to be the oldtimers haven . Hey gandolf you predate me I use to play with a PDP 11 but it was being phased out when I got there. IF you are interested a budy of mine is trying to port VMS over to Intell...now there was a fun OS