cdrom issue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cdrom issue

cdrom issue

this is more of a hardware question than a security question, but since i'm a n00b and couldn't find a more appropriate forum, here it is (i'm sure you guys will neg the hell out of me for this, and most of you tend to do)

One of my users has a win 2k box that cannot for the life of it load the driver for the CD-Rom. I've reinstalled the driver several times, and i can't seem to get it to work. It loads up in the Bios, and windows can recognize, but no driver. Any ideas?
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    What kind of CDRom is it? Have you checked the manufacturer's website??

As an FYI, General Chit Chat is the catch-all forum for things non-security related. Hence, the move to this forum.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just Another Geek

Re: cdrom issue

Originally posted here by sickyourIT
    this is more of a hardware question than a security question, but since i'm a n00b and couldn't find a more appropriate forum, here it is (i'm sure you guys will neg the hell out of me for this, and most of you tend to do)

One of my users has a win 2k box that cannot for the life of it load the driver for the CD-Rom. I've reinstalled the driver several times, and i can't seem to get it to work. It loads up in the Bios, and windows can recognize, but no driver. Any ideas?
    If windows recognises your drive why do you need the driver? Are you sure the drive isn't broken? Any Windows 9x/NT/2K/XP version can use your cd without any need for a driver to be installed (if it's an IDE or SCSI drive that is).

I had a cd drive once, windows saw a cdrom drive but none of the cd's I put in there where readable. It turned out to be broken and after a replacement everything worked fine again.

A little more info would be nice.

Make and model of system. ... even a link to the machine on manufacturer website.
    Make and model of cdrom.

Are there any confilcts in device manager? Start- control panel - admin tools - computer management - system devices

What happens if you manually remove the device from the devise manager and the refresh?

Does the event viewer have any relevant errors or information?

it's essentially a clone system. The cdrom itself is not really important, as i have tested this machine with several other CD Roms and a CDrw drive. To no avail. the device shows up in the device manager with the happy little /!\ sign on it, and it says that winders can't load the driver
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

The cdrom itself is not really important
    To no avail. the device shows up in the device manager with the happy little /!\ sign on it,
    I would say the CDROM IS important then. If Win2k can't find it... you're gonna have to go to the CDROMs manufacturers site and get the drivers for it. Win2k does a pretty good job* at finding most of the hardware... but not all of it.

as i said before, i've tested this machine with several different CD-Rom and CD-RW drives, I even took the Rom out of my machine (because i knew this rom worked) and tested it on this one. Each drive was a different manufacturer, but windows was never able to load a driver

If you've tested it in multiple machines and multiple variations of windows and it detected but never worked, then I'd think that'd be an indication that there is something wrong. Have you checked the pins to see if any are bent? Is it a SCSI drive or an IDE/EIDE drive? Is the cable ok? Cable bent too much, torn, etc?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

nothing's bent or broken, it's an IDE drive. i've tried it on two different cables, with all sorts of cable settings. the drive has power and all, and can eject, etc. -> really ironic thing>> i can boot from this drive, but win2k refuses to speak to it

Then we get back to the make and model of the drive as perhaps it needs a driver downloaded from the website for better support.

Or... Virus?! Maybe interferring with the drive?

Maybe the media itself? Some drives are ultra-picky about the burn quality.

*Throwing out ideas at random here*