MS-DOS 2 Questions

Thread: MS-DOS 2 Questions

MS-DOS 2 Questions

Background: On my computers at school, we have a network that has MS-DOS running on it. The administrators drive is the M: Drive. 1. I want to go in through MS-Dos but I always get an Access Denied whenever I try to check things, is there any way to bypass this Access Denied. 2. Is there anyway to send a message through MS-Dos to another person on the network.

Thank you,
    nameless301

LOL

On my computers at school
    see anything wrong with this sentence?

here it is again;

On my computers at school

ms-dos is a computer operating system, so it doesn't run on the network - in a manner of speaking. why do you want access to the administrators drive? i'm getting this sneaking suspicion that you are in over your head here. in short, you don't bypass the ``access denied''.

send someoone a message check out net send. type that in to get the proper syntax of the command. eg, net send someonesLoginName MESSAGE...
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Background: On my computers at school, we have a network that has MS-DOS running on it. The administrators drive is the M: Drive. 1. I want to go in through MS-Dos but I always get an Access Denied whenever I try to check things, is there any way to bypass this Access Denied.
    Quite possibly, but I wouldn't recommend that you try it, otherwise you might get into trouble

2. Is there anyway to send a message through MS-Dos to another person on the network.
    If it uses netware (most DOS networks), then there probably is. As far as I can remember, you can send messages to other users. I can't remember what the command is, but you can probably do it with SYSCON. I don't expect they give you access to SYSCON. If they do, watch out, running syscon could be viewed as hacking.

Indeed. DOS is not a network operating system. It is a PC operating system. There is no native support for PC to PC communication built into DOS.

That being said, there are a number of network operating systems that could support DOS clients. As Slarty (short for Slartibartfast?) alluded, NetWare was probably the most popular network operating system used to support DOS clients.

You should be able to tell if you are in a NetWare environment based on the login prompt.

Another thing to look for would be to execute the PATH command to show your path. You should see more than just the local drive if you are on a network. Generally speaking in a NetWare environment you'll see the Z:\ drive listed in your search path. This is usually mapped to the \PUBLIC directory on the server you're connecting to.

It has been a long time since I worked on a NetWare 3.1x system with a DOS-based client PC.

You should be able to get some documentation from Novell

Of course this only pertains to NetWare. There were a few other NOSes around that supported DOS clients too...

Simple. Describe your motive to administrative that what your intentions are and what do you want to do on Administrative account which you couldn't do otherwise? He/She might let you use account on his/her presense.
    In most cases administrator will refuse the access and probably will ban you using any computer in the lab but still it all depends what is your motive? Is it educational related to your class assignment, in this case he/she will let you use their account in his/her presense, if it is not don't even bother to ask to use administrative services because you can get into trouble.
    Peace

First it matters what your school is running on like netware and what version. second yes there is a way if ur computers are running win 95 98 or me, theres a program called winpopup search for it on the c:/ harddrive. have your friends or what not give the computers name in hte network neighborhood. and u can send messages through that by having the computer name or ip address to send them too. also to get the computers ip address go to start then run and type in winipcfg and it ll give you the ip. well have fun just keep messin a round ull eventually get it.

lol when I first read that I thought you were going to be asking questions about MS DOS 2, not two questions about MS DOS Just thinking about MS DOS 2 makes my head hurt.

As stated already you need to find out what type of network it is first. Also, why do you want to get to the administrative share in the first place?

As far as your second question, well there is no native messaging support in MS DOS because it was never truely intended to be a networked OS. Novell does add a messaging system but that is only for admins on the network, not regular users. I'll have to think on it a bit to remember the command though.

Wow, Novell and MS DOS, that just makes me feel old that I can remember working with them both.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Thanks everyone, your advice will help.

LV4 said: Wow, Novell and MS DOS, that just makes me feel old that I can remember working with them both.
    No kidding. Didn't seem that long ago 'til I started trying to recall some command line stuff. Now it seems like it was about 100 years ago.

These kids - don't know how good they have it. Back in the day we didn't have these fancy Graphical User Interfaces. We didn't have these fancy 32-bit operating systems. We didn't need these fancy WYSIWYG text editors. We had text on a 12" monochrome screen. That's the way it was and we LIKED IT!

/old_fogey RANT = off

Wait a minute come back here! I want to tell you about using EDLIN and DEBUG and tweaking out a different config.sys and autoexec.bat for each stupid app you wanted to run. Hey and you kids haven't heard my story about 2400 bps dialup. Get back here!!!

Originally posted here by amazingzarkon

Wait a minute come back here! I want to tell you about using EDLIN and DEBUG and tweaking out a different config.sys and autoexec.bat for each stupid app you wanted to run. Hey and you kids haven't heard my story about 2400 bps dialup. Get back here!!!

Hey a few years ago I used EDLIN to fix an ultraspark that us foobared....
    ok maybe it was more then a few years ago...
    ok it was an ultraspark 2..
    good im old.

now im off to reminisces about the glorious days of dos and telegaurd...back when hacking was breaking into a system over your modem, cracking was breaking the copypertection on software, phreaking was alive and well..and we knew what 2600 was.

back on topic...what school is left out there running dos and netware...I know that stuff isn't Y2K compliant among other things....I have a feeling what we are talking about here is a windows system with sitting at the dos prompt/shell correct?