Thread: D-Link DI-614+ Virtual server

Elite Hacker

D-Link DI-614+ Virtual server

Is there a special requirement to be able to use the D-Link DI-614+ Virtual server or can you just enable it and it just starts running? I'm sure there is something required to activate the telnet or ftp virtual servers. So I guess what I am trying to ask is to set up the virtual server do I need anything specific or does everything I would need come with the D-Link Wireless router? Thanks for any help.

well, basically what the virtual server does is build a bridge between the outside world and a server running on the inside of your network with a private IP. To activate the virtual server you just need to go into the config and set it up, but to actually have a something to connect to you need to have a server running on an internal machine. Say for telnet, you would start up a telnet server on your home machine, and then go into the router's config and set it up to open the correct port and to look at the right machine. Then when you connect to the router with its external ip (the one from the ISP) from the outside world, it will be like you are connecting to a server running on that IP, rather than a server lurking in the shadows.

So the answer to you question is yes and no. You don't need anything for the router, you just need to set it up, but that is just like opening a door. To actually have something to connect to, you just need to have some server running on an internal box.
    The specifics of how vary with the specific router (I have a DI-624+, but it is currently at home unused, as I am in school and have a wonderful network provided for me) and they vary with the server that you want to have running because you have to know how to set up that specific server.

Just don't think that because you are running a virtual server through the d-link that you are any more secure than if ou just had that service running on a box outside of the d-link. A more sophistocated firewall/router would ahve all sorts of neat things that would help protect the server through the door that you just opened, but with a home-user product the only benefit that you are really getting is the ability to specify which ports you have open to the rest of the world.

Did I help? 'Cause I think I lost myself somewhere in there...
    Dhej
    The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of dusk. -Hegel

Elite Hacker
    I think you helped even though i'm still a little lost. Thanks Dhej.

I have another question. I was just curious about how you set up the firewall and what you set all the rules to on the D-Link? Thank you.