weird boot for mandrake newbie

Thread: weird boot for mandrake newbie

Question weird boot for mandrake newbie

Installed Mandrake 9.1 two nights ago, and all was great. This morning, during boot, half-way though it stopped and went to a black screen and said:

Mandrake Linux release 9.1 (Bamboo) for i586
    Kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk on an i686/tty1
    it then lists my ip address and asks me to login, and then prompts for a password.
    It hasn't done this on the previous boots. I hit the disconnect button on my modem and booted again. Same thing but this time it said "local host login" instead of ip login.

Help please

It's a gas!
    By what your describing the screen you see is the command prompt, which the x server is run off.

Have u tried logging in as root or an acccount u created while installing?

If youve logged in just type startx which will start up your GUI.

Could've sworn I tried typing in my account name; I will try logging in as root.
    I thought this was the command prompt screen but didn't want to say it if it wasn't and expose even more of my newbness

I will try startx when I get home in a few hours...if I could get back in I believe I could figure out how to re-enable the machine to boot in graphically each time...I guess in my tinkering I changed something

thanks

hey KeyserSoze if you want to go back to your gui boot all the time you will have to edit
    /etc/inittab file
    look for the line: id:3:initdefault:
    and chage it for: id:5:initdefault: that will make the trick
    \"Knowledge is Power\"

That happened to my friend when he installed 9.1 also. It booted up fine the first time, but then after that, it kept kicking him into a console. What kind of hardware are you running it on?
    I\'m back.

Thanks for all the help! I will be home in 2.5 hrs and I will start trying the suggestions (at work now)...I'll post what happens

Embro1001--I'm running it on an hp pavilion with P4 1.6, 512 DDR. During the install, it detected everything correctly including all hardware except for the vid card. I recently put in a friend's card that he was not using, and while xp has had no prob with it (after some driver updating) mandrake thinks it is the old card. I was going to try to remedy that today as well as do some playing around and familiarizing.

hey Key you will have to run xf86config so you can configure the new card i dunno about mandrake but redhat have this kudzu utility to check for new hardware installed maybe mandarake have something like it . its a good utility for new linux users
    good luck
    \"Knowledge is Power\"

Alright...now I feel stupid. Not for sure exactly how I screwed up this morning in my groggy stuper, but I logged in as the user I setup during the intial install and it joyfully accepted. However, I had no clue what command to use to continue the boot, and startx worked perfectly (as I'm sure you all knew it would) and I'm back in now.

A big thanks to all for the info--and for not flamin my dumbass. Maybe someday (a long time from now) I can return in kind.

Alright,

It sound like you installed the server package for Mandrake. The "localhost login" is a loopback interface for your computer. It allows your computer to talk to itself. For a personal computer this sounds really stupid, but for a large company with a computer dedicated as a server this makes since. It's not really that big of a deal, sometimes when you login you will get that screen and sometimes you won't depending on the way you boot. But I am running DRAKE 8.2 right now so it may be a little different than yours. You can however, reload the software and not worry about it again by not choosing the SERVER package.
    JAY-SUN