Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Hat 8 Shells

Red Hat 8 Shells

I just set up my old system to run Red Hat 8, and I want to give some of my friends shells so they can explore linux. I've made a user, we'll call it 'dan'. I gave dan my ip address, and the port. He said he can't connect.

I figured the problem could be:
    - tcp wrappers misconfigured?
    - router?

This may be a no-brainer, but have you checked to make sure you have sshd running? I've ran into situations where some distros dont start it automatically on boot, so you may have to start it manually. Also, it very well could be a router or perhaps your firewall or his is causing the problem.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Did you set up Port Forwarding on the router? That's the problem I had on my Linsys. Just a thought.

Linksys^ Errrrggghhh
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

RH8 automatically comes with the firewall set to high, customize it to allow incomming ssh. Go to your services and make sure that sshd is running.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

The first problem was that like someone said, the firewall configuration was on high, I changed it so it would allow ssh. shhd is running, so the only problem I can see is with the router, the port forwarding deal. So if someone could assist me with the port forwarding for a linksys router, that would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help so far.

Get into your router configuration and go to the Port Forwarding tab. Choose to allow TCP and UDP on the Port that you want to allow access to (Port 22 in this case). This should allow the connection. I got negative antipoints for the last post.....don't know why :-( Oh well, Hope this helps.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Do you have another machine locally? If so, you could try to rule out the router by connecting locally without going through the router. I always like it when I can rule something out. Almost but not quite as cool as actually solving the issue...

Good Luck

On the machine running SSH, try and connect to the SSHd through the loopback IP addressby typing ssh 127.0.0.1, to make sure it is actually working as expected. If you can connect, try the eth0 IP address. If you can connect to both addresses, the problem is most likely elsewhere. Check to see if the file /etc/nologin exists. If it does, delete it or nobody but root will be able to log in. Also check the files /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny and see if theres anything obviously preventing connections in there.

Chances are it's your friends that are the problem though, do they actually have a SSH client? The windows telnet client won't work. PuTTY is free, but I've never used it. It can be downloaded from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html

This is very strange, I can't even connect to myself on the system it's running on. SHHd is running, I checked that.. What could be the problem?

Antionline Herpetologist
    I might be out on a limb here, but you are using "ssh localhost" and not "telnet localhost" to connect, right? The only other thing I can think of is that ssh is running on a non-standard port.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com