logon help

Thread: logon help

logon help

A friend was given a computer and wants to use the applications but doesn't have the password to logon. I've read a few threads but don't quite understand the process of booting into the recovery console or how he would be able to do this from the command line. Would someone spell it out in detail and let me know what options exist. This is an offline home box. I think it is win2k
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

Antionline Herpetologist
    Quite frankly, I think the best way is to just format the computer and reinstall everything. Failing that, you can try this link.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Thanks-I passed it on!!

Since you have phisical access...

Winternals has a pretty cool little admin toolset... but they aren't inexpensive...
    View them here.

I have seen stuff similar that is opensource though... do some searching.

Use the Offline NT Password Recovery tool, from here

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

MsMittens says it can sometimes fry the registry, but that's OK, if it does that you can just reinstall (like you might want to anyway).

I've used it to get into Win2k boxes whose passwords have been forgotten, it worked every time for me.

Seeing as you don't really know what's on the box behind that logon prompt, it might be an idea to reformat the machine anyway - it could have viruses / trojans on that the donor was unaware of.

It was my professor who asked me to get assistance. A friend had requested his help. It turns out it was a spusal issue of distrust and we agreed not too pass on the info given here. Thought you all might like to know but another tool added to my collection, so thanks all!!

as slarty told, use one password cracking tool, like
    lopht cracker : http://www.securitywonks.org/site/vs...loads/2215.zip
    NTcrack : http://www.securitywonks.org/site/vs...loads/2216.zip
    not just these, there are many more nt password crackers, just check and download them first, try using them, if not successful, then format the system

formatting the system should be only the last option

Whenever I get a new (used) box, I always reformat. From an ethical standpoint, if there is anything *Confidential on the box, formatting removes any temptation to *snoop. Besides, reformatting is like giving a car a new engine...everything is flushed out, clean, and ready for me to mess up again. There is no spyware, nothing...
    I guess I wandered from the original question...sorry...
    I\'m back.

i'm with embro. although i'll admit that i've snooped used computers before, it's usually to find cool software that they installed. you'll get the coolest programs sometimes, but it's actually illegal for them to selll you the comp. without the liscenses for it.

from a security standpoint, you don't know what they downloaded before they sold it to you, so they may have (intentionally or unintentionally) installed a trojan on their computer before selling it to you.

tada! you've now been hacked by some 1337 script kiddie. look out!

but anyway, it's up to you. my vote: reformat
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.