Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone Alarm Pro

Zone Alarm Pro

I have made a test on my system security ( http://security.symantec.com ) with my Firewall ( Zone Alarm Pro)enabled . And the result was:
    My computer didnt pass on Network Security and Web Browser Security. My pc have some vulnaberabilties as i could see.
    Zone Alarm is not doing its work..but why?

The Iceman Cometh
    Most likely, it's just configured improperly. I just ran a scan using ZA Pro 3.7.159 and it passed with flying colors (Safe on all accounts). Typically the Browser Privacy Scan fails on many computers because you are not blocking banners, pop-ups and cookies (I use AdSubtract for that purpose). Check to ensure that your ZoneAlarm configuration is set up for the maximum security you need with the usability you want.

AJ

Only norton product can pass the the symantech challang and only zonealarm can pass the zone alarm challange, it propaganda. I really wouldnt worry about the firewall that much if you are useing a pc, they arnt really needed but ok to have. Most of the time all you need is an updated anti-virus.

The Iceman Cometh
    Only norton product can pass the the symantech challang and only zonealarm can pass the zone alarm challange, it propaganda.
    As I stated, I ran the scan on a system using ZoneAlarm Pro as a firewall and AdSubtract for privacy and I passed Symantec's test on all levels. Although I do admit that most security tests are biased to a specific product, they do give some indication of what you should look for. Plus, to be honest, none of them should give you a sense of security because there are many things which they don't search for.

I really wouldnt worry about the firewall that much if you are useing a pc, they arnt really needed but ok to have. Most of the time all you need is an updated anti-virus.
    I completely disagree with your last statement. If you don't have a firewall and you're infected with a Trojan (which may, or may not be found by your anti-virus program) or you are "infected" with a number of spyware programs, you'll never know that you're transmitting information, let alone be able to stop it. I agree that many people with PCs (especially if you dial-up) don't need a very advanced firewall for incoming packets, I do believe that they should have a firewall to protect outgoing traffic. Next time you're going to say something like that, back it up. Otherwise you'll start a flame war.

AJ

I too use ZoneAlarm Pro 3.7.159 and pest patrol for trojans/spyware. I passed the Symantec test. You probably had a problem on the trojan part if you don't use a product for trojans/spyware/ and keyboard loggers.

Originally posted here by avdven

I completely disagree with your last statement. If you don't have a firewall and you're infected with a Trojan (which may, or may not be found by your anti-virus program) or you are "infected" with a number of spyware programs, you'll never know that you're transmitting information, let alone be able to stop it. I agree that many people with PCs (especially if you dial-up) don't need a very advanced firewall for incoming packets, I do believe that they should have a firewall to protect outgoing traffic. Next time you're going to say something like that, back it up. Otherwise you'll start a flame war.

AJ
    Adven. I was just getting ramped up to make pretty much the exact same conclusion. Thanks.

I'd like to add that I'm not sure I agree with using the term "firewall" interchangeably with "personal firewall software." I feel that a firewall is a system or device that straddles the connection between two networks and provides some method of access control and/or filtering based on rules and/or connection state. Personal firewall software I see as software running on a PC that monitors inbound and outbound connections. I don't think that firewall software is equivalent to a firewall. I do believe that firewall software is better than nothing. Personally I would recommend a firewall plus firewall software plus virus protection software as the best possible solution.

I know it may just be semantics, but I think there are definitely differences between a firewall and firewall software (which actually bears a lot of resemblance to commercial Host-based IDS software).

I think we need t make a differentiation between home and work networks when talking about security issues. Firewall software like zone alarm should be more then adequate for home networks, but a business network needs at least a PC running a robust firewall solution
    like checkpoint or iptables if not a firewall device.

It would be a very bad thing if we convinced home users that the only firewalls worth getting where checkpoint or PIX systems, the cost would be prohibitive and they would end up with no protection, which would put all of us in grater danger (DDOS).

Security needs to be weighed not only with effectiveness but also with ease of use and costs. If the home user can't afforded to be secure they wont be, and if it isn't easy to use they wont config it properly.

On another note I'm getting sick of antiviral packages not picking up bonzi buddy or gator as a virus

bonzibuddy must die!!

i have a problem like that i just installed zonealarm for my home pc but i don´t know how to configure it properly, i´ve heard that sftwr firewalls not configured properly are just useless

i haven´t passed any security test....

" i´ve heard that sftwr firewalls not configured properly are just useless"

Even if a firewall is configured properly there are a 101 ways you
    can get still get burned like leaving Active-X and javascript turned on
    in Internet Explorer somebody can execute malicious code and
    commands on your system So it's more than firewall and
    Antivirus user have to prevent simple problems like that by
    taking 2 minutes to turn them off.

Talking Scan

I ran the same scan with McAfee ands ZA being the only things to protect the system and passed in flying colors. Your ZA might not be configured properly as stated earlier.