Linux - cant get install.sh to do anything

Thread: Linux - cant get install.sh to do anything

Unhappy Linux - cant get install.sh to do anything

I've looked all over google and I cant find anyone who has had problems installing divx. I dont know if I'm the only one who doesnt know what he is doing but i just cant figure it out. I extracted the tarball and it's in its own directory... I tried installing it from my home dir and from / but both had same result - nothing. Ok, what I have done:
    I ran make on the install.sh and got an install file but it's just an exact copy of the sh file.
    I am on a RH system here and while looking for install method on the internet I saw Imake and some other stuff but RH doenst have it
    I tried ./install and ./install.sh both are 'working' for a few seconds (slow computer like 200 MHz) and then it goes back to prompt
    If you have ever looked at the README file it's got little instruction it says to run the ./install file and thats it.
    Well if anyone out there can help me with my installation problems, thanks so much.
    If there is something wrong with they way I am trying to install things please tell me (I have been learning linux for a while now and I'm just starting to install stuff and it's got me stuck. Thanks all!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    What are the permissions and what's inside the file? An .sh file is a shell script file.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I know the .sh is a shell script. I dont have a copy of the file avaliable right now but it's streight from divx.com and it should be correct. If you have installed Divx or any other player that will play divx files just tell me what you use and I'll try and set it up. When I get over to my computer I'll put up what the install.sh file says. I looked at it but I didnt see anything of interest (to me - I might not know what you are looking for) I'll put it up later today. Thanks so far

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm.. I checked and it doesn't seem to do anything other than set some settings. For those curious the file looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
    LIBDIR=/usr/local/lib
    INCLUDEDIR=/usr/local/include
    GREP_RESULT=`grep /usr/local/lib /etc/ld.so.conf`
    if [ -z "$GREP_RESULT" ]; then
    echo >> /etc/ld.so.conf
    echo $LIBDIR >> /etc/ld.so.conf
    fi
    cp -f *.so $LIBDIR
    cp -f *.h $INCLUDEDIR
    for NAME in encore decore ; do
    LIBNAME=${LIBDIR}/libdivx${NAME}.so
    chown 0 $LIBNAME
    chmod 755 $LIBNAME
    rm -f $LIBNAME.0
    ln -s $LIBNAME $LIBNAME.0
    chown 0 $LIBNAME.0
    chmod 755 $LIBNAME.0
    done
    /sbin/ldconfig

I did find this one however: http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread/t-125.html (Xine). Maybe that will work better?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I was going to paste it up here but that is the exact same thing as mine
    (Waste of space) so if anyone has any ideas please lend a hand