Thread: FreeBSD install question

FreeBSD install question

I am going to attempt A freeBSD install on a pc164 based alpha system, now when I put NT on it was prety easy..Redhat was a pain in the but and eventualyhad to be scraped because it did'nt support any network card that I could get (64 bit PCI),,,so what issues will I need t obe prepared for with FreeBSD?

It's a gas!
    People talk about freeBSD being a bitch to install because its text based, but it its really straight forward as long as you know the h/w you have in your box!

Download the freeBSD handbook from HERE which should be a good help!

Good Luck!

r3b007

dunno what version of freeBSD you are trying to install but...
    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.0R/hardware.html
    here is a link to supported hardware pages...

like reboot said- the hardest part about installing is getting BSD to recognize your hardware...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

I found when I did my FreeBSD install on an old Pentium 120 I had no major problems whatsoever. With FreeBSD 5.0 and up you don't even have to configure the kernel anymore at install time. The installer has sort of a GUI'ish interface

I'm not too worried about the lack of GUI as I cut my teeth on Slackware circa 1995..no Gui and 120 install floppies downloaded over a 56k modem My worry is non-Intel compatibility issues. Open BSD came right out and said they had compatibility issues with my platform, and Redhat had problems even though they didn't admit it so I was wondering if there where any know issues with FreeBSD that the website didn't mention.