FreeBSD to Win2k via Modem?

Thread: FreeBSD to Win2k via Modem?

FreeBSD to Win2k via Modem?

Hey AO,

Iíve been looking into local ISP(s) for possible internet provision. I couldnít find anything I like for an affordable priceÖ SO I figure- why donít I just set up a dial-in server(ras?) on my friendís machineÖ Many of my friend(s) have broad-band connections, and none of them mind sharing a lilí with me

Server-> My friends machine Runs win2k (I dunno why, he is very familiar with *nix, but refuses to switch? Go figure) Iím running FreeBSD/Mandrake, what would be the best way to connect these two machines via modem.

Client-> FreeBSD, as far as I can see the common/default dial in protocol is PPP?

If anyone has any advice they could lend me, Itíd be greatly appreciated
    Has anyone done something like this before?
    Or- will there be no problem at all?
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Just Another Geek

Re: FreeBSD to Win2k via Modem?

Originally posted here by tampabay420
    Server-> My friends machine Runs win2k (I dunno why, he is very familiar with *nix, but refuses to switch? Go figure) Iím running FreeBSD/Mandrake, what would be the best way to connect these two machines via modem.

Client-> FreeBSD, as far as I can see the common/default dial in protocol is PPP?
    That would probably be the easiest to setup. On the W2K configure RRAS to allow dialin. Then use ppp on the freebsd-box just like a 'normal' isp connection.

thanx SirDice!
    -another reason i was thinking about using my friend as an ISP, i assume that i would achieve much higher kbps rates, being the only client?

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by tampabay420
    thanx SirDice!
    -another reason i was thinking about using my friend as an ISP, i assume that i would achieve much higher kbps rates, being the only client?
    It all depends on how fast your friend Internet connection is. It also depends on what he will be running. If he's using any P2P programs and his connection is filled up, you will notice this. Remember that you both are using the same connection to the Internet so you will share this bandwidth.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

yeah, of course...

-but i don't think it will be a prob... whats the max speed over phone line (52/54 kbps) and i doubt even those numbers... the common dialup (after some local research) speed is never over 15-20 kbps, even that is pretty fast... using those like AOL, MSN, etc - i usually got around 3-7 kbps (and that's just sad)... of course it will be a while until i set this up- i think it would be neat to see just how fast my connections could get, esp with a direct connect via FTP or something like that?

Just Another Geek
    Just try it, play with it and have fun. In the mean time it will make you and your friend a bit wiser on networking

I'm just glad to have a 1536kbps downsteam and 256kbps upstream connection
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Just remember that rates above 33k are only achieveable if at least one of you has a digital phone line (in the UK anyway, I can't speak for the US or inded Japan)

That's what my cisco certified mate said anyway - rates above 33kbits are only possible if the ISP has a digital line (they all do here) and you have a digital exchange. Between two analogue modems you can get 33k apparently. Also, rates are variable depending on the quality of the line (my personal record for a 56k modem on a really good phone line was 54k, I've seen much less)

Gosh this broadband is good