Installing WinModem on Linux RH8 or 9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing WinModem on Linux RH8 or 9

Installing WinModem on Linux RH8 or 9

hey guys,

i have a choice out of red hat 8 and 9. i prefer 8 personally.

anyways, i have a netcomm internal 56k modem, and im sure its a winmodem, my question is how can i install a winmodem through redhat 8 (preferably) so that i can access the net etc.

i know there are some proggies and stuff but basically im a linux newbie and need detailed instructions to change major stuff, so any help would greatly be appreciated and i will get back t you guys on how it goes if i get some reliable help.

thanks
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

You can look for a driver to your modem at www.linmodems.org and see if u find ther your modem.

Which one?

If you can let us know the make of the modem, we can help you.
    I assume you:
    1. Have you already found out that it is incompatible with Linux?
    2. want to know how to make it work on linux
    --------------------
    100% Microsoft free

My modem is a lucent modem. i dont have time to get the chipset number right now but when i do i will post it. hopefully lucent will be all the knowledge you need for now to get me started,

thanks again.

o, and one more problem. this is always happened. i have an onboard via technologies sound card. and i have installed a soundblaster live. niether of the two sound cards work in linux, even when the onboard is turned off in the bios. is there a way i can get the soundblaster to work??

but my #1 concern right now is the modem.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

This link looks like it going to be your best bet with the info you have provided. It deals strictly with Lucent winmodems and Linux.

Here is a link to some Lucent winmodem linux drivers.

http://walbran.org/sean/linux/linmodem-howto-all.html

That is a link to the Linmodem (winmodem) howto. They are nomrally really good.
    5.2 Lucent LT

Overview
    This modem enjoys the most support under Linux, in that there exist three different driver packages:
    That is in the link above... Give that a whirl.

In regards to your sound problem. I have the creative sblive 5.1 package.
    I followed the instructions here.

I have thus far been unable to get the digital output to work though... I can only get it to go through analog. If you figure out how to get the digital to work... let me know!

Thanks, so far its been really useful and informative. only problem is that i can only connect to the net through windows so thats another reboot

also, im a real newbie at linux.. hehe, we all gotta start somewhere. so, if anyone can help me with detailed instructions, i mean, im not stupid, but just the simple things. like how to access drives like floppies and cd's. also navigating the system and starting the command line.

cheers again.

anyways, i was going to say something else but i forgot. i already has the rpm file but didnt know how to use it, now i do so we will see. be alot easier if i could access AO through linux, that way i could talk live and do it as we talk.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

i m working under Linux Mandrake 8.1 . I have Internal modem HSP56 Micro Modem(as shown in device manager in WIN 2000 and its showing as PCTEL 56 in MANDRAKE).
    Error is : "Modem Ready... Modem isn't responding".

I think this one will not work. I do not think this has any compatibility in chipsets or has a Lindriver avaiable.
    Its proven only to work with Windows so far.
    --------------------
    100% Microsoft free

It's a gas!
    if anyone can help me with detailed instructions, i mean, im not stupid, but just the simple things. like how to access drives like floppies and cd's. also navigating the system and starting the command line.
    Well i would suggest investing in a good Linux book.
    I got the RedHat Linux Bible which is very comprehensive.
    There are also online tutorials on the various commands used to navigate your Linux system.

So try searching AO or www.google.com/linux for some Linux command tutorials

ps rpm -ivh filename.rpm to install or rpm -Uvh filename.rpm to update

mani034... re: the HSP56 modem..... unless you manage to get God to perform a miracle for you, your modem won't work in Mandrake - short of writing my own drivers for it I've tried everything else under the sun and I still can't get the sod to work. Since I'm not up to writing new drivers I had to get an external modem that does work with linux. I think you'll have to do the same.

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes