Win98 CD-ROM bootup?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win98 CD-ROM bootup?

Elite Hacker

Win98 CD-ROM bootup?

How do I configure win98 to boot from CD-ROM? I've tried setting the CD-ROM as the master boot drive in the BIOS but it just skipped over it. I'm trying to boot up with knoppix which I just downloaded. So my question is what do I need to do to get my computer to recognize a CD-ROM boot disk?
    Share on Google+

You need to make a boot disk for windows 98 that has standard atapi cd rom drivers on it. When they install from booting the floppy you will be able to access the cd rom in dos.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
    Share on Google+

Windows 98 install cd-rom is not a bootable cd-rom.
    (Windows ME,NT,2000,XP install cd-rom are bootable.)

So I think you need a 3.5" boot disk that maps the cd-rom for you.
    I did not do it.
    Share on Google+

Is your Win98 CD bootable ? u must make sure it first.
    If it is not , u can make a boot disk from Start>Settings>Controll Panel>Add / Remove Programm.
    And than click on "StartUp disk" tab menu and clcik "Create Disk" ... u put blank floopy disk into your Floopy Disk Drive and and then Reboot your Computer.
    And in BIOS system , set the booting from FDD and then Restart your computer.

If it isn't work either, replace ur CD-ROM with other one or Replace the Win98 Disc with Other Bootable Disc... if that isn't work well .. i don't know what should i say.

Share on Google+

This doesn't have anything to do with Win98. It has to do with BIOS settings.

Do you have multiple CDRoms?

I had this problem at work. I had two CDRoms and the BIOS was set to just boot from one of them.

I set my BIOS boot like this:

CD-ROM (CD1, then CD2)
    Hard Drive
    Removable Media

Another thing I would check is: Is the knoppix disk that you made any good?
    I burned a couple duds and they wouldn't boot.
    Share on Google+

Elite Hacker
    I just downloaded knoppix straight to the cd. Is there something I needed to do to make it bootable? If so, can I just copy what I burned except make it bootable?
    Share on Google+

Kwiep
    did you download the iso ? or an archive or just a bunch of files ? did you check the md5 checksums ?

edit: I did assume the boot device order is cdrom before the hd ... did you do that (in the bios) ?
    Double Dutch
    Share on Google+

Elite Hacker
    I did download the iso. And I had the cdrom before the hd in the BIOS. How do you check the md5 checksums?
    Share on Google+

I just downloaded knoppix straight to the cd. Is there something I needed to do to make it bootable? If so, can I just copy what I burned except make it bootable?
    Ok, if you downloaded the ISO right to the CD, it won't work. You will have to copy the ISO from the CD to your computer. From there, doubleclick on the ISO. Your burning software should come up. If not, go into your burning software and "create cd from disk image". Select the knoppix ISO and start the cd creation.

That will create a bootable knoppix disk.

In the format you have it now... it is just one file on the CD. (the image of the CD)
    The ISO will create the directory structure and make it bootable.
    Share on Google+

Elite Hacker
    I'll try that thanks.

when burning the knoppix cd there is the data cd option and the other formats which include:
    Audio+Data mix, Video CD, and create cd from image file. I'm supposed to choose data right?
    I just wanted to be sure. I don't see an option for making a bootable cd.
    Thanks
    Share on Google+