knoppix
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knoppix

Elite Hacker

knoppix

I finally got the computer to boot from a cd with knoppix on it and knoppix came up. It said to press F2 for help
    and it some commands. I typed knoppix lang=us and then hit enter. A screen came up where it tried to do a whole bunch of stuff. It tried to uncompress some things which I don't think it succeeded at. And I think everything it tried to do brought up an error. Is there something wrong with my hardware or what? I have no idea what to do. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

When you get to the prompt, type hit the f2 key, then try this:
    knoppix wheelmouse lang=us screen=800x600

Aside from that, make sure you have the latest release, and also make sure that the md5 sums match.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Elite Hacker
    how do you make sure the md5 sums match

Okay, here's how I do it. Might not be the best way, but it works.

The first time it gives you the "Boot:" prompt, type "expert". It will then ask you to load some SCSI modules. Enter N for none, then N again when it asks you to load more from a floppy drive.

It will then autoconfig your devices. After that it will ask you to reconfig your keyboard. That's not terribly necessary, unless you have a special keyboard. In which case go Y. Otherwise go N. It will then ask the same for the soundcard, and you're best off to go Y there and set up your keyboard. Then it will ask the same for the mouse, go N unless you've got a special mouse. Then it'll ask about your graphics system, and it's best to set that one up manually too, so go Y there.

Once you've done that, Knoppix should load. Works for me, at least. Hope it helps!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of hackers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    I am what I am and I do what I can.

hello h3r3tic, take it this is to do with your other thread here. I've been playing around with knoppix myself recently... and liked it so much that I installed it to hard disk instead of booting from CD (it replaced an earlier version of Mandrake). Have you got the latest version of knoppix do you know? Also what hardware are you running? Knoppix is pretty good at auto detecting most hard ware including fairly newish stuff so some idea of what you have might help. What error message did it bring up?

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Elite Hacker
    Thanks, I'll try both of those things.

here is what happens

Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at /dev/scd0...
    setting paths...cloop:error -3 uncompressing block 737 65536/655241/29847/0 6110825-6140672
    end_request:I/O error, dev f0:00 (cloop),sector 94384
    then it does the same error in sector 94388
    awk:not found
    awk:not found
    Total memory found: kB
    expr:syntax error
    repeat last line
    cloop:error -3...(cloop)sector 94336
    same except in sector 94340
    repeats last two lines two more times
    EMT trap
    Creating directories and symlinks on ramdisk...cloop:error -3...(cloop)sector 94336
    same error sector 94340
    repeat last two errors
    EMT trap
    same cloop error on sector 94348
    same error sector 94352
    /linuxrc: chown: I/O error
    /linuxrc: cannot create /var/run/utmp:directory nonexistent
    FAT: bogus logical sector size 1088
    repeat last line
    kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:01

sorry for the length
    cloop:error -3...(cloop) is the error from lines 3-5 but in diff sectors.
    I hope this helps you all help me
    Thanks

Ugh. This happens when, right after you enter something into the boot prompt?

Sorry, man. This is way over my head. Maybe go and re-download it. Maybe there was an error, or you got a bad download. Start from scratch and try it agian, but outside of that there's not much I can do for you. Good luck, though.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of hackers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    I am what I am and I do what I can.

Elite Hacker
    before i redownload it what is this checksum business?
    I know at the site I got it from they had the md5 file but when I clicked on it it just brought up a page with some numbers and something else.
    So how do you do the checksum?

edit

ok, I've started to redownload the iso except from a different site.
    I'm downloading knoppix_V3.2-2003-03-30-EN.iso 700 MB
    there are also two other files which are knoppix_V3.2-2003-03-30-EN.iso.md5
    and knoppix_V3.2-2003-03-30-EN.iso.md5.asc
    do I need these, and if so what do I do with them?
    Thanks for all previous replies
    you all have been very helpful.

here's a guide that i came across a while back on running knoppix and installing it on your hdd. i'm sorry but i don't remember where i got it or why i even saved it, but hopefully i'll help you out.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

Elite Hacker
    Here's my update. I redownloaded knoppix and the only problem I have now is that I need more ram. It did start up though just not in the default kde desktop.
    Thank you everyone for your input. I couldn't have done it without you guys.