Thread: Win2k DOS

Win2k DOS

hello :
    Any body knows good DOS tools for win2k which compiles or works in win32 environment , i tried stream3.c but its not working even after modifications . Compiled versions prefered.
    regards
    prem

Why do you want these tools?
    It is hard to imagine you are trying to defend against an attack if you have no idea what you want to defend against.

coz iam a newbie and i want to learn

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    You want to learn *what*? If you want to learn how to initiate a Denial of Service attack I doubt you'll find much help here. AO isn't a forum for teaching illegal activity and I can't think of a legitimate reason for initiating a DoS attack.

If you just want to learn conceptually how DoS attacks work so you can better understand and defend against them, I am sure there are countless explanations and resources if you search the AO archives or do a Google search.

No it was not the intention, when my squid server is offline for some tine iam forced to use win2k server as standby for net sharing, after three hours i felt the memory is full, it is a p4 with 512megs system and the clients online will not exceed 50 at a time, then i checked netstat and found lot of fin and ack flaged empty packets from various ip's, my consultant told me it was an DOS attack, so to make sure how it works i asked
    thanx for reply
    regards
    prem

Thanks for this its extremly helpfull

And one more question how to prevent IGMP attack on win98 which reboots the system

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    By searching Google for "windows 98 igmp attack" I came up with a list of links, one of which was the following Microsoft Security Bulletin from 1999 with a patch to protect against the vulnerability:

MS99-034

Do you run Windows Update and keep the system patched for known critical vulnerabilities?

Here is a more detailed article on the concept of the IGMP attack from that same Google search:

Spoofed IGMP Report