Thread: Making VCD's

Thumbs up Making VCD's

I'm writing this tutorial to try to redeem myself in the Anti Online community becasue i have had negative antipoints assigned to me and i want to show that i can contribute to our community.

This tutorial explains how to make VCD's from any avi you download from the internet, or shoot yourself.

1. Before You Start

Note!!!
    To convert from DV video you may need to install a DV Codec (if it doesn't work try convert the DV to Canopus DV ).

To convert from DivX video you have to install a DivX Codec , you may need both DivX 3.11 and the DivX 4 or 5.

To convert from QuickTime MOV videos you must download the QTReader.vfp and copy it to the TMPGEnc folder.

To convert from MPEG2/SVCD/DVD videos you may need the MPEG2 Plugin or a MPEG2 Codec /Player .

To convert from DivX with with OGG Audio be sure to install the OGG Codecs first.

But for just normal avi's, continue........................

Tools required: Latest TMPGEnc- This is Freeware

Install TMPGEnc by extracting all files in the zip file to a folder.
    Now start TMPGEnc and open the Wizard(under File->Project Wizard if you have closed it).

Step 1 - Format
    Here do we select what format to create. VCD, SVCD or DVD and PAL or NTSC(NTSC Film). NTSC is the format standard in USA and Japan and PAL in the rest of the world. But many DVD Players and TVs support both NTSC and PAL standards so you should be able to make both. If your DVD Player or TV does not support one standard, then choose your countries standard whatever the source video is (but it is always best to convert to the same standard as the source video or else you will get jerky playback, read more about NTSC to PAL or PAL to NTSC here )

Select Video-CD -
    NTSC if the video source is 29,97 frames/sec (FPS)
    NTSC Film if the video source is 23.976 frames/sec (FPS)
    PAL if the video source is 25 frames/sec (FPS).

<--------

(If you need to - use virtual dub to check fps of the source)

Start Virtualdub. Open your video File->Open video file.(if you get any warnings just ignore them because you won't edit the video just extract the audio)
    Select File->File Information and note the fps as the video source fps because you will need it later. 29,970 fps is the video source fps(frames/s) in this case.

--------->

Step 2 - Select source file
    Here do we select the source video.

Open the video by clicking on Browse. The audio will be opened automatically(If you have a different audio source then choose it manually).

On most files, selecting the same avi file for both audio and video works fine !!

Note 1! If your source is DivX,XviD, ASF or SMR it is best to extract the audio separate to a wav with Virtualdub because TMPGEnc can not handle all audio sources that well(causes sync problems). But if you are converting from captured material such as DV,Huffyuv,MJPEG you can leave the audio same as the video.

Note 2! If your video source is 23,976 fps then check so it says Film movie under Content of video, if not then go one step back and select NTSC Film(Use virtualdub to check the source fps)

Using Virtual Dub (only if needed and sound doesnt work)

Start Virtualdub. Open your video File->Open video file.(if you get any warnings just ignore them because you won't edit the video just extract the audio)

Select under Audio->Full processing mode.
    Select Audio->Compression and select <No compression (PCM)>

Select Audio->Conversion.
    Change the the Sampling rate to 44100Hz if you are going to make VCD or SVCD MPEGs

Save the wav by clicking on File->Save WAV...the wav will be a huge audio uncompressed video file(about 10 MB/minute so for this 80 min movie a 800 MB wav file).

Thats that sorted !!!

OK - back to the business............

Step 3 - Filter setting
    Here we can add filters and also both select source range and clip the video.

First select Source range

Source Range
    If the movie is above 80 minutes as most are you must cut it.
    Cut it in half by
    1. Move the bar where the clip should start
    2. and select start frame.
    3. Move the bar where the clip should end
    4. and select end frame.
    Select first the first half and add some more seconds so you will get some overlapping between the CDs. When encoding next part select exact from half to the end. Note, you can max fit 80 min a CD so if the movie is above 160 minutes you must cut in three parts and so on.
    Close the Source range

Select Other Settings
    Click on Advanced
    Change the Video arrange Method to Full screen (keep aspect ratio) if you wan't the movie to look exact the same as the video source.
    If you have a widescreen movie and you want it to be fullscreen(no borders) select instead No margin(keep aspect ratio) and TMPGenc will cut it.

Step 4 - Bitrate setting
    Here do we specify on what media you are going to store the video on, on a 74 min CD you can fit almost 74 min VCD video.

Select CD-R 74min or 80min depending on what media you are going to burn on. 80min means that you can fit near 80 min on a 80min CD and 74 min on a 74min CD. If it won´t fit go back and cut so it will fit.

Step 5 - Encode

Last Hit OK to start the first encoding.
    (While encoding you can check if it looks okey, select File->Preview(it won't effect the encoding) and if it looks wrong(widescreen or fullscreen) you can stop the encoding and start over and change especially the Other Settings->Advanced->Video arange method.)
    Repeat everything to encode the other part(s).

Now you are ready to burn it to VCD.

Problems:
    Some common TMPGEnc problems:

If you get an error message when opening like file unsupported or can not open or is not supported
    or you get an empty(black) video preview window
    or the video look wierd in the video preview window like green or purple or pink
    Try first to change the codec reader settings in TMPGEnc under Option->Environmental settings->VFAPI plug-in and right click on the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader and increase the priority to 1 or 2 and try open the video.
    If that does not help be sure that you have installed DivX or XviD or MPG2 or DV Codecs.

If TMPGEnc freezes or crashes when converting or you receive errors such as
    Unexpected decimal point calculation
    Illegal floating decimal point calculation order
    Try first to change the codec reader settings in TMPGEnc under Option->Environmental settings->VFAPI plug-in and right click on the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader and increase the priority to 1 or 2 and try open the video.
    Or try to convert the audio to wav before converting(If you have problems extracting the audio using Virtualdub try use Goldwave or AVI2WAV).
    Or try to repair the AVI,DivX or the ASF.
    Or try to use avidefreezer to fix your video source.

If you get audio errors, out of sync problems or bad audio or no audio at all
    Try to convert the audio to wav before converting.

If you have problem converting MOV(Quicktime) Files
    You can try this MOV to AVI Conversion Guide or use QuickTime Pro and convert to AVI and after convert to MPG.

If you have trouble open WMV files
    Try and rename it to .asf and open it.

If you have problem open DV AVI files
    Try first install a DV Codec but it that doesn't help you may need to convert the DV to Canopus reference DV (TMPGEnc do not support Microsoft DV AVI 1).

If you have trouble open MPG/MPEG2/SVCD/DVD files
    Install the PowerDVD 4+ demo and use TMPGEnc 2.57+ and you should be able to open MPEG2
    or
    install the MPEG2 plugin for TMPGEnc
    or
    use this DVD2AVI method (note DVD2AVI do not convert the MPEG2 to AVI it only frameserves it to TMPGEnc)

If TMPGEnc says that the video time / runtime is way too long
    Try change the directshow reader priority, in TMPGEnc under Option->Environmental settings->VFAPI plug-in and right click on the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader and increase the priority to 1 or 2 and reopen the video. If that doesn't help you can always use the source range to select exact what to encode, under Settings->Advanced in tmpgenc.

I cannot change any settings
    The settings are greyed out after I open a template
    Load your template as usual, then load the unlock template that you find in the extra folder in the templates folders. Now you should be able to change every setting.

I want a fullscreen movie from a widescreen movie
    If the source is in WideScreen and you want it to be in FullScreen you just select under Advanced under Video Arange Method: No margin(keep aspect ratio) and TMPGEnc will then cut left and right so it will fit FullScreen.

If TMPGEnc gives you an error message when opening MOV or MPEG2
    If it is a MOV(quicktime) video you need the Quicktime plugin and if it is a MPEG2 file get this MPEG2 Codec and you should be able to open MPEG2 files in TMPGEnc.

If you have problem open DV video, DC30+,MJPEG captured video or any AVI VFW
    Then try to change the settings in TMPGEnc under Option->Environmental settings->VFAPI plug-in and right click on the AVI VFW and increase the priority to 1 and try open the video.

If TMPGEnc says Can't load P3Package.dll?
    Be sure that you have exctracted all files in the tmpgenc zip file to a folder then go to that folder and start tmpgenc.exe or make a shortcut to tmpgenc.exe and it should work.

Convert DivX with AC3
    Install first an AC3 audio decoder or you could install WinDVD that also includes a AC3 Decoder. You should be able to play the DivX with AC3 or OGG with Windows Media Player.
    Launch TMPGenc v2.52 or higher and before opening the video you need to change the priority of the directshow reader, under under Option->Environmental settings->VFAPI plug-in and right click on the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader and increase the priority to 1 or 2. Now open the video and the audio should be automatically be opened.

Improve the audio quality
    You can use an external audio encoder because TMPGEncs own audio encoder is not the best. One of the best audio mpeg layer 2 encoders is tooLame, download and extract all files to a folder. In TMPGEnc under Options->Environmental Settings->External tools select Layer 2 and browse for the toolame.exe.

BURNING

NERO 5.5

Tools: Get Nero 5.5+ or get the demo .

Launch Nero.Close the Wizard. Select File->New.
    1. Select VideoCD
    2. Select PAL or NTSC depending what format your source MPEG is in.
    3. And hit New.

1. Locate your .mpg and drag it(see picture below). Remember that you can add several .mpgs also, each mpg will be a own track on the VCD and you can add data files also, just drag them to any folder.

Note!!! If Nero complains when you add the mpg you have encoded the VCD MPG file to wrong format, you can then either let Nero encode to correct format or get a VCD Convert guides so you can encode correct or repair the MPG.

2. Check the time. It should be the same as in the movie.
    3. Rename the CD to anything you like by clicking F2 on NEW.
    4. Select File->Write CD.

1. Select Write speed, lower may work better if you get problem playing the VCD. Select Disc at once and Finalize CD.
    2. Hit Write.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated, plus if your stuck in any way, just post here and i will help you out

There is one small note that should be added. In the begining of the tutorial you said you might needa an mpeg plug-in to convert mpeg2. You shouldn't have to convert mpeg2 as most vcds can easily be made straight from an mpeg2 file format. If you use nero, this method works slick.

Ya, it is almost a standard with every brand of cd burners, a bundled version of nero is provided. and with nero, all you do is select VCD, then choose your source file. then burn.

provided that most people use that process, this tutorial is pointless (these days anyway) but it is still a good tutorial.

Peace
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Nice tutorial. I would just add a few notes about AVISynth filters.....

Clean, high-quality source material is a must. DivX, XviD, and other MPEG-4 variants are extremely dirty source material from an artifact standpoint, which will have two effects on your VCD. The artifacts already present from the MPEG-4 compression will be treated as noise and compounded when you recompress the video as an MPEG, and the resulting VCD will look really bad. Moreover, MPEG compression works both spatially (within a single frame, like a JPEG) and temporally (tracking only the changes between frames instead of complete frames). Mosquito noise and artifacts are by their nature random, so the more random information you have in your frames the more information is required to record the change between frames. That means that either your MPEG becomes larger to maintain quality or becomes poorer quality to maintain file size.

There are a number of filters available for AVISynth which will address these issues and both make the VCD look nicer and make it more compressible so it will fit on 1 CD. The best such filter, IMO, is Steady's dust. Other useful filters are Convolution3d and AVISynth's built-in Temporal Smoother. Instead of encoding your AVI directly, you can feed TMPGEnc an avisynth script like this:
    Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AVISynth2\plugins\dustv5.dll") 
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AVISynth2\plugins\convolution3d.dll") 

AVISource("D:\my movie.avi")
    PixieDust()
    #Use GoldDust for very dirty sources
    Convolution3D(0,3,64,6,64,5,0)
    TemporalSmoother (2)
    At a minimum, that will make your VCD look orders of magnitude better. And if you use Kwag's templates for TMPGEnc and TMPGEnc's CQ mode, you can fit well over 2 hours of video at 3/4 DVD resolution (544x480) on 1 CD instead of just the usual 74 minutes at 352x240.

Try it, you'll like it.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    ChrisWuk,

It would be nice if you posted your OWN tutorials written by YOU. That's the third one today! And you even went as far as to Obscure the paths of the pictures.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tmpgencdvd.htm <-- original source of the above.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

whats ur problem lady?

I had -'ve anti points for being a noob, so i thought i'd help ppl out. This tutorial was based on another site, but i took at the info aquired from several windows and links and added them, to an easy to understand tutorial that any1 can do at home, adding sum of my own bits in from experience.

Go write antother news letter or something !

ChrisWuk,

Perhaps I was a little short with that post and for that I apologize. However, if you want to post things to "redeem" yourself rather than posting things that you've cut and pasted from other sites (and not given appropriate reference) why not do a post of "Hey guys, thought this might be of help or interest to some". By posting things that are actually written by others, you'll put yourself in a worse position than better. Trust me. If I hadn't found it, someone else would have.

Plagarism is a no-no. To quote the legal mumbo-jumbo (Legal Notices of the site:

c) Post or transmit any Material that you do not have a right to reproduce, display or transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as nondisclosure agreements);
    The information is helpful but there are other ways you could present it.

Lastly, don't worry so much about the antipoints. There is a lot more to this site than a simple "popularity" contest. Answer posts that are looking for answers, ask questions that people can help with.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

ChrisWuk.
    You seem to be missing the point somehow. If I wanted to read a cut and paste job I wouldn't be here, this looks like it came from a usefull site I'm sure the rest of us would loe to know what that site was (not to mention the fact that by not siteing the source ou are stealing). And this isn't even the fourm to post TUT"S on....wow thats two ood reasons to neg you.

Actually, I moved the thread from Tutorials to here. Tutorials is supposed to original tutorials written by AO members on a variety of topics (interestingly, not limited to security or computers). The information in this post is helpful, just not original.

Just a little advice to the people that like to make VCDs, and you want them to be better quality, go to this web site and follow its instructions and it will copy the movie file that you want to turn into a VCD and then cut it in half so it will fit on 2 disc. instead of just
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tmpgenc.htm
    Don\'t be mad at me that I don\'t know anything, thats why I am here. Not an image or image does not exist!