how to make a windows box a file server
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to make a windows box a file server

how to make a windows box a file server

okay i just got a new windows 2k box and i would like to set up my old 98 machine to be a file server... besides the obvious of just clearig it out and useing the space via the lan, what are my options?

thanx
    \"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can\'t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.\" -- IBM maintenance manual, 1975

Honestly... I don't know if I'd trust a 98 box to be stable/secure enough for filesharing/server. Plus, the GUI will just eat up valuable resources. If you ever wanted to use it for something else... like mail server, or DNS server, or ftp server... you will have a lot more trouble.

Why not look into hooking up a *nix box? If you're a newB... look into a more user friendly version. Like, RedHat or Mandrake .

You can use samba to share files and it works well.

If you really have your heart set on using 98 as your file server... do a clean install. Update with all patches/service packs, fiewall, and antivirus. All of which will eat up valuable resources....

Create your shares and password protect them. If you are worried about security... then I wouldn't use this. There are programs that will automagically find the shares, usernames and passwords. Instant access.

It sounds like you wish this to be a file server within the network. You could use windows file sharing, the nice drag and drop interface is pleasant enough, although it sometimes crashes computers, and makes them less stable overall, but, generally, it offers good speeds for file transfers. But, usually the best option is FTP. The protocol delivers very fast speeds, and there are many easy to use, easy on the resources, robust, and very configurable FTP servers out there. A quick search on download.com will yield many results.
    I have heard the IPX is very fast, I have yet to confirm that, but, it's always an option, going to have to try it out on my network, when and if I do, I'll post whether or not it was fast.

i had been looking into the idea of using a *nix platform. I am vaguly fimiliar with *nix, however i wouldn't know exactly what to do once i loaded it. could you help me out more there maybe? i have ummm.. redhat 7?! thats outdated but still once i have it up and running how would i go about using it as a fileshare/ftp server?
    \"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can\'t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.\" -- IBM maintenance manual, 1975

yes, rh 7 is fine. It also has samba installed by default (last time i checked). All you will have to do is make it start at boot and configure it. change /etc/rc*.d/K*samba to /etc/rc*.d/S*samba so it will start with the computer. Note: replace * in rc*.d with your boot level and the * before samba with the number that comes before it (im not sure what it is). To configure samba edit /etc/samba/smb.conf according to your needs, its pretty well documented.

Windows 98 can/will share files & printers. But it will only handle 1 connection at a time.
    Network OS handles multiple connections simultaneously. (If that's a consideration)
    Stability is an issue. Windows 98 does NOT have a long run-time between reboots.
    You're best to go with a 'real' network OS like *nix or Novell, OS/2, Win 2k server.

Windows 98 will handle being a small fileserver fine - it doesn't have much security or stability, but it's not going to crash if you simply use it as a file server (assuming you reboot every couple of days anyway)

It also does handle more than one connection fine. I don't think the performance is necessarily that good (I've seen vastly differing values) - sometimes it seems to push stuff out as fast as the wire can take it though.

If win98 is what you have, it is much cheaper to stick with that than buy a $$$ licence for Win2k or something.

Talking How To.

This is just a pantsy suggestion but you could disable file and printer sharing and install an FTP server on the machine to give it a bit of security.

Alternatively I detect a hint of this is just my home lan in what you are saying.

What I would do in this case is switch on file and printer sharing (Control Panel / Network Settings)

I would then map a drive to it from my other machine

I agree with all of you guys .. my mainframe running Win2K Adv Server and my other comp running SuSE 8.1 and it is wonderfull .. and yes , Win98 doesnt have enought security and stability even u set up the OS as crazy as you can.

Here's some links about RedHat tutorial :
    www.cs.uwyo.edu/~tobox/cosc/4750/lab3.doc -- RedHat 7
    http://linux.about.com/library/begin...rhinstalla.htm
    http://moss.csc.ncsu.edu/~mueller/os/vpc/install/

or u can join the mailist on http://www.justlinux.com
    When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=389

yes its a home LAN... if i mapped the drive then what kind of fileshareing would it be? like the drag in drop of windows, or ftp style?

then if i installed *nix and used it then what would it bee like?? avaiable to the win2k machines? i'd think so right?

so for a home LAN themapping would be best? or should i go through with *nix?