Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting around a proxy

getting around a proxy

My school has a filter so we can't even go to hotmail. Is there an easy way to get around this like using another website? I know i can use AltaVista but that doesn't let me into my account.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Rather than by-passing the school's security, why not talk to the admin and find out if it's possible to arrange access, perhaps on a single machine to reach portions of hotmail?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

there are plenty of web based proxies availble to the public to use. Most of these are not dectable by filters. As far as bypassing goes, you should contact your admin before exploring other alternatives at all.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

what proxy is your school using (eg. IGear, Symantec) I may well be able to help

you definitely want to be sure to check with the school's admin first. sometimes, the librarian or computer lab tech/assistant or whatever will be able to show you a computer that has hotmail access. Most of the time, when people want to bypass a firewall or proxy, it's to look at pr0n or to try to be troublemakers. Don't be that guy. It'll get you kicked out of school. Just ask nicely, or use a little bit of social engineering (a stick of gum and a smile will get you a long way) and you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish.

or, just wait till you get home to check the hotmail...
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

Yes the point can not be stressed enough, especially here. There have been a lot of students coming on lately asking how to bypass their schools filtering server. As most of us know how it is from how their high school network was run, or how their current job network is run, it sucks to have to deal with a filtering system. Please, do not go looking for the "work around" on this issue, but be an adult and look to finding the correct way with fixing this problem. I think if there is an issue raised by a lot of students and/or staff about the filtering server, the admin will listen. Even if there is not a big group of people complaining about an issue, sometimes all it takes is talking to a teacher or an admin. Heck even sometimes teachers will be kind and use the "override" access password to turn the filter off on a computer so that a student can do whatever they like. But in all reality, the network and the computers are not yours, and there are rules when using them. Follow the rules, and use the right channels to go about things. Bypassing a filter would be considered "hacking" in the eyes of any school, and that can lead to major problems. No reason in causing all that just to check your hotmail right?
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Originally posted here by dac0braman
    what proxy is your school using (eg. IGear, Symantec) I may well be able to help
    Offering to help hack someone's system whether a school's or an individual is not what this site is about. AO is about security, not hacking. Just offering a bit of advice if you want to remain at AO.

As for trying to get around your school's filter, obviously the answer has been given to you in the other posts here.
    Dream as if you are going to live forever, live as if you were going to die today.

netcat. setup netcat on your box at home (presumably a broadband box with a fixed IP) and tell it to listen to a port you KNOW you can get to from school without going through the proxy server. Then, go to school, configure your workstation to go to your home box on the pre-determined port, and boom! You'll also need to setup a proxy at home and bind netcat to it.

Disclosure: this presumes that you've got a box capable of running netcat (`nc`), and that your ISP doesn't do some hideous ingress filtering.

-C

filtercube

The name of the internet filter is filtercube by S4F technologies.

trust me m8 the best bets is just talk to the admin or whateva he calls himself at ur school i got kicked out of school for tryin to bypass the internet filter and as some1 has said they will see it as hacking and they did so. Just ask him to see if he will let you use the main pc while he is there but what eva you do. Do not get kicked out of school