Thread: Dual Booting

Dual Booting

I recently obtained a copy red hat linux 8.0. And I am running Windows XP Pro. How would I be able to be able to choose the boot system. Linux needs a boot disk to run anyway right. And would i need to create a new partition to run the os on the computer.

You need at least one partitions for linux to install. 3 would be better. I would install linux first and then use the grub boot loader becuase of XP. Then lay XP on another partition. Then would be cleaner than trying to put linux on last. : )

I have redhat linux 8.0 and windows XP. There is a program called Partition Magic 7

get it at www.networknav.net

it will help u create a partition to put redhat linux on and then u can format it with disk druid
    u might have to manually do it auto doesnt seem to work.

Confucious say: woman standing on hands is bound to crack up !?

bah wrong address

www.navnetwork.net

SORRY

First, you'll need to free up some space and create a partition for your RH8 install (I'd download RH9, its out now). When you install RH, it will give you the chance to setup your boot menu; just properly identify your XP partition during install, and all will be happy. Alternatively, you can read about GRUB, a bootloader shipped with many modern Linux distros. Read about grub at http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/.

-C

i've used the grub bootloader before, and I really liked it. I've also used the bootloader that comes with BeOS, called bootman or bootmanager (whichever you want to refer to it as). Be's was a little faster, but installing another OS just for the boot loader would be stupid. There is a way to just install the bootmanager, but you'ld have to get a BeOS r4.5 or r5 disk first. if you want information on the process, (or any Be process for that matter) PM me
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

I had to use Lilo when I set my Redhat 8.0 up with XP, Grub destroyed my boot partition. Lilo picked up XP without any problems and I didn't have to edit the config file. You can boot it from a floppy if you don't feel comfortable with setting up partitions and boot loaders...Good Luck.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

RH 8 and up should see any windows partition. I installed 2000 on my laptop and then installed RH. RH install saw the Windows partition and allowed me to choose the boot option. It was the easiest dual boot setup ever. Windows then RH.....

For the newbies

If you do use Grub or Lilo boot loader during the OS setup always
    assign a password to them either one for security reasons why?

1) To protect single user mode so a Hacker can't become a
    root user on your system

2) Prevent a Hacker from accessing any insecure OS you install on
    the system if you dual boot Windows95/Windows98/WinME that
    has no permissons or security

3) If you don't assign a password for Grub a Hacker can change
    your configuration from the editor and do bad things

4) You need a password to prevent him or her from passing along
    arguments to your systems Kernel

For Lilo make sure that you change permissons (because the file is
    world readable) in /etc/lilo.conf to chmod 600 so no other user
    except root can view it then update the change type: /sbin/lilo in root

Doc

doc crontab:

password protecting your bootloader doesn't prevent someone from walking up with an install CD or a boot floppy and just booting the box manually...

-C