SUSE Linux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUSE Linux

SUSE Linux

Is there a place that I can find the ISO for the full SUSE Linux install? I have only found the ISO for the LiveEval version. On a side note, do you think that SUSE is even worth my effortsbecuase I have been pretty happy with RedHat 8? Thanks.

SuSE doesnt release ISO images of their install cds, but they do allow installation via FTP if you have a fast enough connection. As for SuSE vs RH, they are quite similar, though I pesonally prefer SuSE because it has a larger selection of software that comes with it, though some will say probably too much extra stuff.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

SuSe is my choice distro, im on it right now, syini is right though they do notrelease ISOs, i prefer buying it because they give you alot more with it (they cant when you install free becaue of licensing) in my opinion its alot better than redhat, you get ALOT of tools, everything from ham radio tools, to ISDN tools, server tools, and yes alot of things, and yea some people say its to much and that it makes it bloated but you dont have to install everything, you can do a basic install with 3 mouse clicks and 20 minutes, or you can customize it like i do and choose from the thousands of tools it comes with, theres networking tools, and also if you have Windows on there itll find that usually and sk you if youd like to partition the HD and resize Windows and then itll install on that, also when you buy it you get books, (the admin book, the user guide, a booklet about SuSe, a calander, stickers, 7 CDs and a DVD) also you can use a very GUI based system if you want or the CLI, but its a great distro.

Thanks to all for the info.
    ~Gore~
    Do you remember what you paid for the retail version of SuSe? Because its open-source I can see why it is probably ethically a goodidea to buy it. Thanks.

Well you can buy directly from SuSE, which is what I usually do. The current version is 8.1, but 8.2 is already being advertised on the website, so it would probably be best to just wait and buy it when its released sometime toward the middle of April. Personal Edition will run you about $40, plus shipping. Professional Edition is considerably more, coming in at $79.95 I think. gore is right, buying SuSE is a good idea cause of all the extras that come with it ( I know the manuels saved me when I had trouble configuring X and didnt know many commands yet! )
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO

i run suse purely because they support more of my hardware than freebsd does. i think he's a really slick os. its not as bloated as redhat, but still comes with way more stuff then you'll ever use. it looks great though and very easy to use if you're beginning linux.
    have fun :P
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

Banned
    I paid 99 (about 101 USD) for my copy of Suse 8.1 Pro (and Gore, I didn't get a calendar!!! Just some stickers). Weird that it costs less in the US, especially since it's a European (German) OS....

i got a calander and youuuuu didnt

its a 2003 calander that has SuSe Linux on it and also on the back has the basic install instructions (basic install is 3 mouse clicks) and also some SuSe history in a time line, they celebrated 10 years in 2002.

and syini and neggy told you the prices for two countries so i wont waste space talkign about it because there both right and i paid 79 dollars for it at best buy ( http://www.bestbuy.com ) the same store i nought Free BSDpower pack at, i go there alot...one thing though, when i clicked on this it said the post was negative, now its even,,,,hmmmmmm. anyway, i think youll love it, great at finding hardware, easy, but also has advanced tools, its a distro you can grow with, you can start out with everything easy and when you feel your ready, you can start playing in the advanced stuff, also id recommend signing up to one of there mailing lists, you can find them at http://www.suse.com . just look for mailing lists and you can sign up. and yea there german so its also like using a distro from a country my ancestors came from (Im German/Irish and a wee bit scottish.....basically a drunk with a temper if you go by stereotypes but those dont work on me lol and i also quit drinking this year )

you can download it at www.linuxiso.org its version 7.3 but its still SUSE if you want it.

spaceghost7 > yeah, you can get the live eval of 7.3 (and 8.1) for i386, but it just boots from the cd, the installable version of 7.3 is for Sparc only, and wont be of any use to normal i386 type computers.

I have to wonder why SuSE released ISOs of the Spac version but none of the others? Anyone got any ideas out there?